Have we lost our way???

45 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Sir you missed the point of the thread. One mans philosophy on his past, nothing more nothing less. No part of this thread judges anyone on how, where or why they hunt. Good luck this season

Best of luck to you too. Have a safe season. 

Once he started regretting taking those bucks on his terms that was the point he new he was more than likely done. But i wonder what even got him thinking that way to just decide one day that's it. Either way too bad he lost enjoying what he loved to do. I enjoy it all i just go with what will work and where and feel no regrets thankfully. I never mention how i harvest a deer whether with or without bait it's not important. The deer is dead already who gives a shit what his last meal was . Most of all i hope to be able to enjoy this for many more years and have friends and family with me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Please note my remarks were made in regard to archery hunting with the rules of fair chase as authored by the Pope and Young club.

Simply defined, fair chase is the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit of free-ranging wild game animals in a manner which does not give the hunter an improper or unfair advantage over the animal.

Edited by _X7
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

Fair chase is when the animal is not fenced in.      But even that can be debated, such as hunting Anticosti Island for deer and other islands...   Where they gonna go?   Baiting and fair chase really have nothing to do with each other.   Man baits fish, bears, deer, and many other things, for centuries.    Are deer drives "fair chase" ?     See how many arguments that term "fair chase" can get you?

Did you ever hunt Anticosti Island, I have and believe me the deer have plenty of places to go, like 3,100 square miles of bush so that was a very bad comparison .lmao I don't think its a question of fair chase, the real question is it ethical? If they legalized shooting deer at night with the aid of spotlight would it be ok because its legal or would you consider it unethical and not do it? 

Edited by bucky
  • Like 1

I’ve done it both ways, bait and no bait. But the Top 3 nicest bucks I’ve shot over the years we’re not over bait. They were just walking through. Right place at the right time.  Maybe Jersey bucks know bait piles are bad news. Or maybe I just got lucky. That’s why it’s called hunting, not killing. 

• Like 4
5 hours ago, bucky said:

Did you ever hunt Anticosti Island, I have and believe me the deer have plenty of places to go, like 3,100 square miles of bush so that was a very bad comparison .lmao I don't think its a question of fair chase, the real question is it ethical? If they legalized shooting deer at night with the aid of spotlight would it be ok because its legal or would you consider it unethical and not do it? 

I just tossed out the first Island I thought of - 3,100 square miles is a bad example I agree...   My point was fair chase does not apply to an area where deer cannot escape (mainly high fence deer farms of course).      Your spotlighting at night  scenario were it to be "legal" well of course not for me, but unfortunately many depredation permits allow farmers to do this.   My point actually was if (I had one) is "fair chase" can be defined to fit anyone's interpretation.    I would be ok if they outlawed baiting and ok if it stays... Doesn't matter it's just another method among many but never considered it a violation of "fair chase".   Go hunt the giant massive Saskatchewan North woods, and all the footage I see are outfitters baiting to give "hunters" an opportunity to see a deer and possibly shoot a nice buck. 

We all have our "opinions" of what deer hunting should be and probably not a single one of us would agree 100% with another's opinion.  Just play by the rules and have fun is ultimately what it's all abou - right?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
6 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

I just tossed out the first Island I thought of - 3,100 square miles is a bad example I agree...   My point was fair chase does not apply to an area where deer cannot escape (mainly high fence deer farms of course).      Your spotlighting at night  scenario were it to be "legal" well of course not for me, but unfortunately many depredation permits allow farmers to do this.   My point actually was if (I had one) is "fair chase" can be defined to fit anyone's interpretation.    I would be ok if they outlawed baiting and ok if it stays... Doesn't matter it's just another method among many but never considered it a violation of "fair chase".   Go hunt the giant massive Saskatchewan North woods, and all the footage I see are outfitters baiting to give "hunters" an opportunity to see a deer and possibly shoot a nice buck. 

We all have our "opinions" of what deer hunting should be and probably not a single one of us would agree 100% with another's opinion.  Just play by the rules and have fun is ultimately what it's all abou - right?

Responding to last paragraph. I think if baiting was not allowed many peoples current opinion would change again. Because the deer patterns would change again. Of course those using ag fields would remain pretty constant. But those hunting big pieces of woods would probably change their opinion. 

Look at how peoples opinions changed when it came to longer seasons and doe permits. I remember people wanting both of those things. And now many are bitching boout it. Peoples opinions when it comes to hunting are formed mostly by deer sightings and success imo.  When either of those things chamge so do their opinions.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

A lot of "suburban" deer are surrounded by different types of barriers. Housing developments are a form of barriers.  They restrict deer movement and in some instances, provide food and shelter to them.  It's not much different than a large tract of high fenced land. The question that can never be answered is: How big is big enough for it to be considered "fair chase". Would 500 acres be enough? Who decides. If an animal has the ability to avoid a hunter, it's fair chase. If you go into a 100X100 yard enclosure with minimal cover and pursue the animal, that's a "canned" hunt. I have hunted high fence in South Africa. The tracts of land are huge and cover dense. On two of my species hunts, it took all day before I saw a single animal. It's not the fence that makes these hunts highly successful, but the sheer numbers of animals.  We are "hunters" now for various reasons, not for necessity. That allows you to make choices people hundreds of years ago couldn't make. So, yes, we have lost our way because hunting is a sport now, not a necessity as in the past. 

• Like 3