IGNORED

HOW MUCH DO YOU SPEND ?

RPK0620

Its all relative to what you enjoy.  See guys complain about this cost that cost but have no issues dropping 100 to 150 on Friday at the bar or on a meal..  not saying those are bad but if you enjoy any thing cost shouldn't matter.

With that said I don't track it lol

Edited by vdep217

Not very much.  If we bait in Sparta, it just means staring at bears the entire time on stand.  I grew up long before baiting became the rage.  Never baited in states like PA, VT or NY where I have gun hunted since I was a teen, and shot plenty without it.  But I also disagree with those that feel bait is some form of a slam dunk or that it "isn't hunting".  Bait is integral to hunting and always has been.  If you set up near a bean or corn or clover field, for example, or you hunt an oak flat, you are baiting.  The only difference is you didn't buy it in a store and drag it in.  You still need to fool the deer's keen senses of sight and smell to succeed.  I'm with the do whatever makes you happy if it's legal thing. 

There will be a time in the fairly near future when baiting in NJ will be shut down once CWD reaches our borders.  Then those that rely solely on baiting will be forced to stand hunt travel corridors, drive hunt, or still hunt without the aid of bait.  But we will always be able to set up near "bait" like standing or cut corn, soybeans, clover or turnips, etc.      

4 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

If you set up near a bean or corn or clover field, for example, or you hunt an oak flat, you are baiting.  The only difference is you didn't buy it in a store and drag it in.  You still need to fool the deer's keen senses of sight and smell to succeed. 

First- I agree- whatever makes you happy- as I said in my post. However, since you mentioned my comment about slamming deer. I disagree with you completely. Your statement is false and only used by baiters to feel good about themselves (again I dont care at all what people do) but lets be honest, setting up over a planted field or natural food source is nothing like baiting. WIth baiting, you know EXACTLY where the deer will be. You know the exact distance and you know the deer, if hitting your bait will go to that exact spot. Far differet than hunting over natural or planted field where the deer has a living chance to eat without being killed. Ive hunted planted clover out west- the field was a few acres big. I had to hope the deer came within 40 yards of my stand which meant scouting and picking the location I thought best represented my chances by reading the terrain. 

We are all in agreement, whatever one wants to do, do it! Let's just not justify it for anything else than it really is....

Have a buddy that baits- loves to hunt, doesnt have the time anymore to put into it. He drops 2 bags leading up to the season- gets to hunt a few times, GUARANTEES he gets a few deer.  Gets to do what he likes a few times while putting food on the table. No excuse needed. 

36 minutes ago, Hawkeye57 said:

First- I agree- whatever makes you happy- as I said in my post. However, since you mentioned my comment about slamming deer.

You lost me right there.  I didn't read your comment when I replied, I only had time to read the OP's original post.  It's a common comment we always read on any baiting thread.  If baiting were a slam dunk, we'd have 100% hunter success on deer.....

I seldom use bait, and when I do it's either to jump start a new mineral site or to shoot a bear.  I don't like wasting my time in the woods dealing with tons of bears that will lie on any bait pile meant for deer until you chase them off.  

4 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

If you set up near a bean or corn or clover field, for example, or you hunt an oak flat, you are baiting.  The only difference is you didn't buy it in a store and drag it in

That's the only difference:hmmmer: Did you ever hunt a buck that lived in a 50 or 100 acre cornfield until it was cut? Been there done that, the difference, deer do not hide under corn piles for months,also there are no magical x's where deer will enter or exit a crop field,the difference, there's always an x on a corn pile. Not all oak flats or trees produce every year, you have to scout for trees that are dropping, the difference, a bait pile will drop at the same time and location every year  . I could go on but I will leave it at that:up:

Edited by bucky

7 hours ago, RPK0620 said:

I no longer deer hunt and when I did we didn't bait.  It was find a good spot and sit it out.

So, I am curious on about how much you spend on bait each year and how much you use ?

Fairly certain the OP wanted to know how much you spend on bait.  He didnt ask whether or not you did or not.  It's a number answer and nothing more.  I spend about $10 every 2 weeks on corn and have cameras near to see what is around.

Not a lot of work for me. Takes me 10 minutes in the morning. I get up every morning 5am feed the girls on my property and I’m done. I don’t consider it hunting more so deer Watching. I could careless what guys do though. As long as they are enjoying themselves. To many guys worry to much what others do and judge them for what and how they do it because it’s not what they do. 

I could not have said it better myself. And not just for baiting but for xbows, shooting “small” bucks, hunting winter bow shooting does etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk