Sold my super duty and looking to downsize and get a truck that I can use as needed and will last a long time as I use a car to commute. Came across the Tacoma’s.  Thoughts on them?  Are they still known to last forever and hold their value?  I’m leaning towards them and avoiding American as the newer models with 10 speed trans have lots of class action lawsuits pending with no recalls or solutions in sight.     Also if anyone is a Toyota salesmen in the Warren/Sussex county area let me know if I do decide to go that way.  Or if anyone purchased a new one lately curious as to what I can end up actually paying for it.  I’m thinking the access cab base model v6 4x4. They all seem to be listed about $33k.   Thank you. 

Very dependable,  and reliable and it holds its value better then all others.

I've owned at least one truck from all the major players,  most part they all have good points, my chevy was the worst...

I have owned numerous Tacomas,  my last one i traded in for  Tundra only reason was my kids where younger many family trips needed a bigger truck, my Tundra has been flawless.  With retirement coming next year I'm treating myself to another Tacoma Double Cab, longbed with the TRD SPORT.  

I do like the Chevy Silvardo TrailBoss but with a bad experience with Chevy I'm reluctant to purchase one

I bought a '16 4x4 4cyl access cab SR5 with 6' bed - I bought it used in '16 (only had 8k miles) - cost me a little over 2ok out the door (taxes/fees/etc) if I remember correctly. Not sure - 23k, 24k something like that.

The ONLY thing I do not like about it is the ride. Do not buy a Tacoma if you want a smooth ride :) When I was researching trucks at the time, that seemed to be one negative that kept coming up - and they were right.

Obviously, the 4 cyl won't tow anything massive. But at least in the model '16 year, the mpg was about the same with the 4 and v6 engines. I didn't need the extra power or towing capacity, so I was fine when I found this in a 4. I don't know if my complaints about the smoothness of the ride has to do with the fact I got the 4 cyl or not - might be better with a v6 (but I don't recall that being a differentiator - seemed like all the reviewers complained about it, regardless of the engine).

Other than that, I don't have any complaints.  I plan on having this for at least 15 years :) 

Edited by mazzgolf

never thought I would own a ford pickup, but the F150 ecoboost would give you better gas mileage, more towing capacity, more interior space on the 4 door crew cab, and wider bed.   I easily get 25 mpg on highway and 20 around town.   Towing my boat it goes down to about 16mpg but plenty of torque...  A little 2.7L 6 twin turbo can be the but of jokes, but it gets sure the job done and has equal torque to the v8..

If you don't want rust - the F150 bodies are aluminum.    Get it with the electronic locking rear end in 4x4, thing will pull you through or out of anything.     Having now owned one, no way would I go down a size to a Tacoma I don't see one single area where it would be better.    

Everyone has their preferences - sometimes it is a little luck and moreover, just how you take care of a vehicle that makes it last.    Every manufacturer can produce lemons, so for every bad ford, chevy or dodge, there are 99 more that never had issues.   

• Like 1
  • Winner 1
55 minutes ago, mike033089 said:

Thank you!  Most I would tow is a Jon boat. So maybe I just need to v4? 

If you go with v4 and you plan on towing anything, remember that they do not come with the tow-package standard with the v4 (I think that does comes with the v6?? not sure). So if you DO plan on towing, either get the tow package or install a hitch and light kit yourself (I did the latter, cost me about $250 DIY - and it was pretty easy to do (and I'm no mechanic). I still plan on installing a trans cooler one day (that's another $80). Anyway - something to consider if you go with the smaller engine.

If money was no object (HA!) and I had a choice, I would have gone with a v6. As I say, the mpg (at least in the model year I was looking at) was virtually the same (IIRC it was like 1 mpg difference), so it's not like you're saving on fuel with a smaller engine.

my tacoma is the best pick up i ever owned. i have a TRD sport 2018. im averaging between 23-28 miles to a gallon. that didnt happen until i hit 30,000 miles though. one day it got home and the dash said average fuel economy for my trip was 33:shock: on work days i travel 75 miles per day. 

also the 110 outlet in the bed comes in handy. 

Edited by Kype

Tacoma’s are great but I agree with JHBowhunter, I had a Tacoma but moved up to the f150 eco boost v6 because of kids and needing more room. The f150 gives me way better gas mileage than I was getting with the Tacoma. 

also if you ever have friends in your truck and anyone has to ever sit in the backseat they will appreciate the bigger f150 the Tacoma back seat blows (and not the good kind). 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
3 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

never thought I would own a ford pickup, but the F150 ecoboost would give you better gas mileage, more towing capacity, more interior space on the 4 door crew cab, and wider bed.   I easily get 25 mpg on highway and 20 around town.   Towing my boat it goes down to about 16mpg but plenty of torque...  A little 2.7L 6 twin turbo can be the but of jokes, but it gets sure the job done and has equal torque to the v8..

If you don't want rust - the F150 bodies are aluminum.    Get it with the electronic locking rear end in 4x4, thing will pull you through or out of anything.     Having now owned one, no way would I go down a size to a Tacoma I don't see one single area where it would be better.    

Everyone has their preferences - sometimes it is a little luck and moreover, just how you take care of a vehicle that makes it last.    Every manufacturer can produce lemons, so for every bad ford, chevy or dodge, there are 99 more that never had issues.   

a guy at work got a ford with the aluminum body. he truck was side swiped and it open up like a sardine can. thousands of dollars to fix because the whole side had to be replaced. not fixed.