IGNORED

growing garlic

Kype

I usually plant it mid october. I plant around 2000 bulbs. 1 clove planted is 1 bulb harvested. My kids have been selling it at the end of the driveway. Gives them something to do during Covid. I normally plant them about 3 inches apart on all sides in rows of five about 2 inches deep. The two biggest things are keeping them watered during april, may and beginning of june and cutting the scapes (flowers) off in may/june. If you do those two things you should have nice size bulbs ready to harvest by 2nd week of july. Do not.water before harvest since this can cause them to start to resprout. When the majority of the leaves yellow it is good to harvest and hang in a shady spot out of the rain until it dries out completely. Keen garlic has a bunch of varieties for sale. I suggest russian giants, asian tempest, and chesnok red. I always plant during the fall since the bulb continues to grow roots instead of leaves during the winter and is larger at harvest. 

Edited by KBfishing

17 hours ago, Kype said:

never tried growing garlic. all i ever heard was you plant in the fall. 

when do you plant?

how many cloves do you plant and how deep?

can it be grown in 5 gallon bucket?

when do you know its ready?

Doesn't your property go down to the river? That rich loamy soil would be the spot, if it's not shady. Make a small garden! Large garlic farm in Vermont planted in rich stream bottom land.

On 9/8/2020 at 9:29 PM, KBfishing said:

I usually plant it mid october. I plant around 2000 bulbs. 1 clove planted is 1 bulb harvested. My kids have been selling it at the end of the driveway. Gives them something to do during Covid. I normally plant them about 3 inches apart on all sides in rows of five about 2 inches deep. The two biggest things are keeping them watered during april, may and beginning of june and cutting the scapes (flowers) off in may/june. If you do those two things you should have nice size bulbs ready to harvest by 2nd week of july. Do not.water before harvest since this can cause them to start to resprout. When the majority of the leaves yellow it is good to harvest and hang in a shady spot out of the rain until it dries out completely. Keen garlic has a bunch of varieties for sale. I suggest russian giants, asian tempest, and chesnok red. I always plant during the fall since the bulb continues to grow roots instead of leaves during the winter and is larger at harvest. 

Thank you for your post - nicely written and gets to the point with no fluff.

I got 5lb of red chesnok from Keen’s as an experiment thanks to your post.  I have never had much luck with garlic in the past but I will follow those instructions to the letter.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, madeinuk said:

Ok I planted 5lbs a few weeks ago.  Soaked it first and then put it out.  Mulched heavily with straw.  Warm spell has it sprouting already.  Is this OK?  Or should I mulch it more to squelch this?

It is perfectly normal for them to sprout. The tips will brown off during the winter but they will burst back in the spring. Hit them with a little all purpose fertilizer to boost root growth prior to the deep freeze. 

I only planted  about fifty , and figured to see how it does in the hoop house........it all came up........in the spring ill transplant to the outside........( another greenhouse experiment )........ and speaking of members of the Allium  family I also planted some more ornamental alliums , the giant ones.....they bloom for a month or more and the deer dont eat them........also did about 300 daffodils and have about 200 more to plant.........

Edited by MRMCR

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

On 9/8/2020 at 4:47 PM, Kype said:

never tried growing garlic. all i ever heard was you plant in the fall. 

when do you plant?

how many cloves do you plant and how deep?

can it be grown in 5 gallon bucket?

when do you know its ready?

My wife plants in the early spring, and we always have more than we need,

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL