IGNORED

Rope Mods

Rjtfd

4 hours ago, yoda4x4 said:

Wow that's a bit on the expensive side. There's a guy on saddlehunter who makes the 7/64 ones and charges $15 for the first one, and then $12 for each additional ones.

As far as FB... I'll just say I'm completely fine without going on there.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I made mine for $20 complete. I made 4 total plus an aider for first step. Not hard at all to do. Oh I had to spend $4 for a knitting needle to make a fid. So $24 total

I made mine for $20 complete. I made 4 total plus an aider for first step. Not hard at all to do. Oh I had to spend $4 for a knitting needle to make a fid. So $24 total
I have the regular rope mod on my XOP sticks, but it's really heavy compared to the 7/64 Amsteel. Plus the daisy chains don't need to be tied in so they're quicker. Just loop it around and set the stick. I'm considering buying the rope but it's a bit of a pain buying the rope in a sense. So that's why I'm considering just paying someone else to do it.

David

3 hours ago, yoda4x4 said:

I have the regular rope mod on my XOP sticks, but it's really heavy compared to the 7/64 Amsteel. Plus the daisy chains don't need to be tied in so they're quicker. Just loop it around and set the stick. I'm considering buying the rope but it's a bit of a pain buying the rope in a sense. So that's why I'm considering just paying someone else to do it.

David

Gotcha. I never looked into how the daisy chain works. The regular rope is heavy compared to the amsteel. I wound up using 1/4” winch rope because it was way cheaper than amsteel and is rated at 7700lbs. Very light also.

10 hours ago, Rjtfd said:

Gotcha. I never looked into how the daisy chain works. The regular rope is heavy compared to the amsteel. I wound up using 1/4” winch rope because it was way cheaper than amsteel and is rated at 7700lbs. Very light also.

Yeah... when I did my rope mod, I did it mainly to get rid of the metal buckle that always hit something and made a ton of noise.  The rope I used is something that I picked up from eBay that was super strong and cheap, but pretty heavy.  It's so heavy that it's almost as heavy as the strap with the buckle.  Now I'm looking at trying to shed some weight from my setup which is how I found the amsteel daisy chain setup.

David

2 hours ago, yoda4x4 said:

Yeah... when I did my rope mod, I did it mainly to get rid of the metal buckle that always hit something and made a ton of noise.  The rope I used is something that I picked up from eBay that was super strong and cheap, but pretty heavy.  It's so heavy that it's almost as heavy as the strap with the buckle.  Now I'm looking at trying to shed some weight from my setup which is how I found the amsteel daisy chain setup.

David

I agree about the buckle. I can get up very quiet 9 out of 10 times with it but there is always that one time it hits something and there is not a sound for miles except metal hitting metal. 
Give the winch cord from amazon a shot it’s very light lime amsteel and fraction of the cost. I just made four more mods for my sons sticks and it took me little more than half hour for all four plus one aider. 

I agree about the buckle. I can get up very quiet 9 out of 10 times with it but there is always that one time it hits something and there is not a sound for miles except metal hitting metal. 

Give the winch cord from amazon a shot it’s very light lime amsteel and fraction of the cost. I just made four more mods for my sons sticks and it took me little more than half hour for all four plus one aider. 

I'm sure the winch rope works just fine, but I'm pretty set on going with the daisy chain setup. It's quicker, just as quiet, and a little bit lighter than the winch rope. It eliminates tying the knots and the untying of them which is awfully helpful when the temperature drops. The only debate I'm having with myself is whether or not I'm going to buy vs build the daisy chain setup.

David

David

Making the amsteel daisy chains is easy and nothing beats them. Super light, super fast, low bulk, pack faster, zero noise. I've tried it all, these are the way to go on mobile sticks.

I didn't buy fids or anything either, I open the end of the amsteel, insert a finish nail and tape it on. When I'm done, I do a bury, remove the nail and add bungee hair tie so I can pack them faster. I also add a rubber o-ring on the end that stays on the versa button loop, helping to keep that end attached at all times.

1 hour ago, ForestNinja said:

Making the amsteel daisy chains is easy and nothing beats them. Super light, super fast, low bulk, pack faster, zero noise. I've tried it all, these are the way to go on mobile sticks.

I didn't buy fids or anything either, I open the end of the amsteel, insert a finish nail and tape it on. When I'm done, I do a bury, remove the nail and add bungee hair tie so I can pack them faster. I also add a rubber o-ring on the end that stays on the versa button loop, helping to keep that end attached at all times.

I wound up buying a 10mm knitting needle and cut it to make a fid. Cost me about $4 after tax. I made the loops pretty tight so I don’t think they’ll slip off button so easy. I like the hair bungee idea. I can bungee them individually and keep in my pack until I’m ready to set up.

👍