IGNORED

Reasoning for EAB?

I dont hunt EAB anymore. used to and loved it. 65 degree mornings were the best! Enjoyed harvesting a meat deer early. Now, where Im at, I would get west nile virus from all the mosquitos if I tied to hunt Sept!

If anything, I always thought EAB was the smartest thing the council does in terms of hunting science/hunter enjoyment. 

My only input for this is just what others have said. Population Control. I hunt the Montgomery Twp deer Program and it's basically to help with the doe population. Harvesting a buck is a bonus for them. It's either they have 90 hunters or so on different properties take out a good amount of doe, or have a company come in and take out about 90% of them or so. That would be less hunting for hunters on those pieces of property. I like EAB until a buck walks out in front of me first thing when the sun rises. But hey, it's the rules so.

EAB gave the state and the hunter a unique opportunity.  The first week of the season is sometimes the easiest time to kill a mature buck if you can still catch them in their summer pattern.  The EAB gives you this opportunity to hunt but manage the herd to a degree at the same time.  With no EAB, many hunters would shoot a buck opening day and then not hunt until permit bow.  Shooting a antlerless deer first (should be does only!) is a step towards correct deer management then gives you the opportunity of shooting a buck in his summer pattern.  If you don’t want to shoot a doe first and the summer pattern is not a big deal to you, just wait until regular fall bow opens a few weeks later.

1 minute ago, Lunatic said:

People who don't like EAB are fat and out of shape so they can not walk, never mind drag a deer, in 80, 70 or even 60 degrees weather without oxygen tanks on their back. They are also not very tough, terrified of  little mosquitoes. :popcorn:

hahahaha you are the size of a mosquito and just as annoying- they dont attack betas. :uzi:

8 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

People who don't like EAB are fat and out of shape so they can not walk, never mind drag a deer, in 80, 70 or even 60 degrees weather without oxygen tanks on their back. They are also not very tough, terrified of  little mosquitoes. :popcorn:

I honestly have no clue what this has to do with EAB but man, I am dying laughing.

21 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

season 2 stir the pot GIF by MTV Floribama Shore

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

As said previously there is no one size fits all where every one will be happy.

Eab forces those tgat choose to hunt take a doe in zones that warrant it for population reasons.

I woupd be on board with 2 buck tags but how much of an effect would it really have..  how many guys actually kill 6 bucks.  It would however stop the mindset of having another tag and may give deer another year 

I believe the single most effective thing tgst can be done to re balance zones.  Break it down more into sub divisions even if just private and public humting land and manage smaller areas for carrying capacity rather  than large areas

Just wanted to also point out that 1) not all zones have EAB and 2) the Division began to cut back in some zones on unlimited, not placing a limit although I personally think that limit seems too high.  But it is a limit on does and not unlimited in certain zones.  And none of that has anything to do with money.  

1 minute ago, vdep217 said:

As said previously there is no one size fits all where every one will be happy.

Eab forces those tgat choose to hunt take a doe in zones that warrant it for population reasons.

I woupd be on board with 2 buck tags but how much of an effect would it really have..  how many guys actually kill 6 bucks.  It would however stop the mindset of having another tag and may give deer another year 

I believe the single most effective thing tgst can be done to re balance zones.  Break it down more into sub divisions even if just private and public humting land and manage smaller areas for carrying capacity rather  than large areas

I completely agree with you that very, very few NJ hunters are killing six bucks.  But where I see the issue is when a guy shoots a buck he may otherwise have passed up "just because" he has ample buck tags yet to fill.  If you only issue two buck tags per hunting season, any weapon, many hunters will be forced to pass on some younger bucks to wait for a more mature buck.  Of course not all hunters will do that, but I feel enough will to give a few more bucks a chance to grow another year older.  And for any meat hunters out there, shooting two bucks plus unlimited does will more than keep that section of our sport happy.  

6 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Just wanted to also point out that 1) not all zones have EAB and 2) the Division began to cut back in some zones on unlimited, not placing a limit although I personally think that limit seems too high.  But it is a limit on does and not unlimited in certain zones.  And none of that has anything to do with money.  

Limits are a joke Brian - they "reset" with the next season or next permit...    To go from "unlimited" to say 6-9 antlerless is a joke when it resets each time.    That is not a quota.  The system is NOT even close to managing via true quotas.  The one and only thing I agree with BHC on here is the money grab/greed which is exactly how the entire permit and deer regulations are driven by.  Money grab veiled in science....    I firmly believe my proposal is best, each hunter gets a quota and it is for each calendar year, not per each weapon or season.    Eliminate the entire permit mentality and drive it by true quotas. 

I shot a big 10pt once….

12 minutes ago, Gman said:

simple, more permit sales.  Same as riffle permit, buck tags, doe permits, specific zone permits, it's disgusting. 

The topic was EAB, which has nothing to do with permit sales...  You get EAB if you hunt a DMZ that offers it, included with your archery license... (No permit required) 

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 minute ago, JHbowhunter said:

Limits are a joke Brian - they "reset" with the next season or next permit...    To go from "unlimited" to say 6-9 antlerless is a joke when it resets each time.    That is not a quota.  The system is NOT even close to managing via true quotas.  The one and only thing I agree with BHC on here is the money grab/greed which is exactly how the entire permit and deer regulations are driven by.  Money grab veiled in science....    I firmly believe my proposal is best, each hunter gets a quota and it is for each calendar year, not per each weapon or season.    Eliminate the entire permit mentality and drive it by true quotas. 

I don't at all disagree that the permit system was set up solely to provide income to the Division.  I remember clearly when Dave Chanda was forced to push it and Council to support it when McGreevy pulled $1 million in funding and the $28 permit was introduced which covered $900K of that loss.  But Dave told me and many others they (Division and Council) needed to do something "better" long term to solve the permit issue and the need to immediately find new funding.  That obviously never happened.  I think what surprises me most is the lack of any fee increases for our general hunting and fishing permits.  The Division and Council always fear what will happen when Trenton votes on any new fees, because only state legislature can set those.