Controlling wifes

I love my deer hunting. I use all my vacation/personal/sick time during the season. My wife knows where I am if I am not working. But I do whatever or go where ever she wants the the rest of the year. I like spending time with my wife and she gets surprised when I decide to skip a day of hunting to spend it with her. But even during the off season if I decide I want to go crabbing- no problem at all. If she wants to go meet up with her old Toys r us friends- no problem. We respect each other and realize we also need other things besides just me and her. 

The only time I would ever tell a friend let me check with my wife is if I know we had a wedding/party,etc that we already committed to and did not remember the date of the event.  

been planning to put out another camera with my cell link over a scrape and tomorrow is the day, and told my wife last week.....of course in one ear out the other....today she tells me the dog needs to goto groomer in the morning and she is busy with clients for haircuts....I replied oh well, our daughter can take the dog and pick the dog up......she agreed

On 9/2/2020 at 10:27 PM, OMC said:

I know some guys that have to deal with that which I find very amusing. Must really suck to have to deal with that nonsense. 

Mikey Your wife rocks... She out with you scouting and busts your balls every step of the way.. Good woman right there! :up:

The love of my life just wants to spend more time with me, and it upsets her that I spend so much time in a tree.   I can see her point, from anyone who doesn't "hunt" or "get the obsession", the time I dedicate to bowhunting deer is extreme.    It's not just the actual time in the tree but all that goes into it.   I know I am selfish when it comes to that. 

So I don't consider it "controlling" when all someone wants to do is spend more time with ME and not have me spend time ALONE. 

Since my wife passed in 2007, I have been on a crazed mission stock-piling trophy deer mounts (that all equate to amazing memorable hunts that I never want to forget) plus all the does that ended up in freezer along the way.    

I know I can do a little better on the "balance" part and if anyone needs to dial it back a little and realize there is more to life than hunting and fishing - it's probably me.   I can name a dozen of you that are probably worse than me (more obsessed, put even more time and effort into hunting and fishing) but we are not "normal" by most standards!  

Cuckoo I Feel Crazy GIF by arbeiterkammer

Edited by JHbowhunter
48 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

The love of my life just wants to spend more time with me, and it upsets her that I spend so much time in a tree.   I can see her point, from anyone who doesn't "hunt" or "get the obsession", the time I dedicate to bowhunting deer is extreme.    It's not just the actual time in the tree but all that goes into it.   I know I am selfish when it comes to that. 

So I don't consider it "controlling" when all someone wants to do is spend more time with ME and not have me spend time ALONE. 

Since my wife passed in 2007, I have been on a crazed mission stock-piling trophy deer mounts (that all equate to amazing memorable hunts that I never want to forget) plus all the does that ended up in freezer along the way.    

I know I can do a little better on the "balance" part and if anyone needs to dial it back a little and realize there is more to life than hunting and fishing - it's probably me.   I can name a dozen of you that are probably worse than me (more obsessed, put even more time and effort into hunting and fishing) but we are not "normal" by most standards!  

Cuckoo I Feel Crazy GIF by arbeiterkammer

nicely said. Thanks for sharing. 

Its an interesting point- there is hobbies, and there are obsessions. For me, deer hunting is a hobby. Waterfowl/upland hunting is an obsession. One thing that has worked out for me is my wife has enjoyed being a part of the dog training aspect. This is more time consuming than any hunting but also the most critical. Sharing the "hobby" of training with her has allowed me to not feel as guilty when i spend Nov-Feb in the woods/water/traveling in pursuit of birds. This will be her first year joining me on a hunt. We will be doing 3 days Georgia quail. OF COURSE she found the lodge in Orvis and it will be setting me back an insane amount!

• Like 1