IGNORED

West Branch Delaware - Need Advice

luv2hunt

The wife is heading down the shore next weekend(not my thing) so my son and I are contemplating heading up to the West Branch of the Delaware to give it a go at some wild browns and rainbows.  Figure to fish Saturday, stay overnight and fish Sunday as well.  Been fishing our whole lives but we both got into fly-fishing this past year and we are hooked...have no desire to take the spinning gear out to trout fish on rivers any longer.  Anyway, the last time we were out was in late May...we are dying to get out again and figure this is likely our best bet given the time of year and hot weather.  However, we have never been up that way to fish so we know nothing about the area and where to fish other than what I have been researching online.   My other concern is all the talk about how "tough" and demoralizing it can be trying to catch these fish.  In watching some of the you-tube videos online, that doesn't seem to be the case.  Regardless, our priority isn't catching fish, we are looking to get away to relax and spend some time together enjoying the outdoors... catching a few trout would be a bonus.  So that said, I'm looking for some advice on a an area of the river to concentrate on as first timers along with any additional tips and suggestions anyone may have including where to stay.  Feel free to PM me if you prefer.   Thanks In Advance!

This time of year can be tough up there if you’re not willing to adapt. The fishing can get very technical and it’s pretty much the only game in town because of water temps so everyone heads there.
I never had great luck with terrestrials and am not a big nymph guy. I used to do very well prospecting with big streamers around the islands and undercuts. Black, white, gold and silver streamers did well for me. I used to cover miles of water doing that but would always have a dry fly rod ready to go.

Definitely look into the West Branch angler..I love staying there. You can fish their stretches, the bridge above them, or the game lands below them. The fly shop is happy to tell you where to go for the best luck. Often, they send you a few miles away to Deposit when the fishing is hot up there. I fished up their last August and caught some....and I can do it....you can do it. The cabins are a bit pricy but they have everything that you need....including central ac. If you need anything else, don’t hesitate to pm me. Remember, that water is cold. Dress accordingly. Dave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Gman said:

Couple of deer seasons ago I rented a cabin right on the river in the town of Deposit, really cheap, and 300ft of river to fish...we didnt fish...  and I believe the owner is in NJ.

https://www.vrbo.com/1706320?arrival=2020-08-29&departure=2020-08-31&unitId=2267805

I see the owner changed since I was there and the price increased as well, it's $135 a night now, I think I paid under $100. Still a great location.

22 minutes ago, CatchinDeers243 said:

How’d you do deer hunting up there?

it was week two, the area is 3pnts/side or better, saw a ton of deer, no shooters. I had a farm up there for 20 years that we sold in the '90's because the deer hunting got to suck.  Seems it's on the rebound. 

I know the upper D intimately.  This year is the toughest it has ever fish ed, but that is due to the incredible traffic it saw because nobody was working.  Now that it's late August, the fishing will be at its most difficult and hatches will be fairly limited to tricos early mornings over the riffles and the pools below riffles, and maybe some sulphurs later in the afternoons or evenings with the odd Iso or Light Cahill around.  Try Dream Catcher Lodge which is a short distance upstream of West Branch Angler and only 60% the price with newer cabins.  There is excellent fishing right in front of the cabins and they have their own boat launch (as does WBA downstream).  This river is very humbling to novice fly anglers as you will see firsthand.  Don't get frustrated, just know that until you can catch stocked trout lights out, you're not yet ready to tackle the wild and heavily pressured fish of the upper D.  You may do better targeting the Willowemoc or upper Beaverkill if water temps are cool enough.  They have a mix of wild, stocked and holdover trout.  If you fish the WBD, expect to make very long casts, use 12' leaders with another 2'-3' of tippet, and the absolute requirement to learn the reach mend at the end of your long cast so the fly drifts drag free over your quarry.  Best of luck!   

Gentlemen,  thank you for all the feedback...it's much appreciated.  I think we are going to hold off on making this trip for the time being.  Sounds like we may be biting off more than we can chew.   Perhaps we'll hit the big flatbrook early morning instead(depending on water temps) then head over to do some trap shooting at the Flatbrook ROY range and finish off with some smallies on the Big D to make a day of it.  Be well.