IGNORED

My 22 Acre (Deer Habitat Enhanced) - Slice of Heaven

6 hours ago, tpr1921 said:

Many of you may be familiar with my deer feeder photo posts, as such I wanted to describe in more detail the property where I have my feeders placed.  The property, which I own, consist of a little more than 22 acres in Gloucester County (Zone 25). It is surrounded by houses on 3 sides and boarders 2 busy roads.  Due to the 450' regulation there is only one location where I can gun hunt from.  The surrounding area experiences heavy hunting pressure throughout all the seasons.

I had hunted the property my entire life and up to 5 years ago had only killed 2 Does with my bow. It was at that point where I got interested in deer habitat enhancement. Over the next 5 years I have changed the property from a joke of a deer hunting spot into a magical place. I went on the web and took every idea or practice I thought might help the property and put it in place. Being a one man show I went to work on the following: Hinge Cutting,  Planting Food Plots in Winter Rye, Select Timber Cuts, Planting MxG Screening, Planting Conifers, Planting Switchgrass Pockets, Making Deer Beds and Corridors, Embracing Autumn Olive-a fantastic deer cover, Embracing Honey Suckle - a winter deer food favorite, Transplanting Wild Grape Vines, Planting Holly Trees,  Adding Feeders, Mock Scrapes and Water Tubes, etc. 

I was also lucky in that my neighbor, who owns 40 Acres adjacent to me -bought in to my efforts 2 years ago after seeing the results. I now help him do some of the same work on his ground. 

It is of great satisfaction to know that I now have the best deer hunting spot, as far as seeing deer on stand, that I have ever experienced in my life!

Thanks for reading.

1141372755_August132017SevenBucks.thumb.jpg.93eec75078e2b78480a06d74ecb9d4ee.jpg473796837_6-8-2020sevenbucks(2).thumb.jpg.6cae7275a827995af3ee45ad8aba2bf5.jpg

IMG_6320.thumb.jpg.43498248dce7b0ed257e4499b6055dce.jpg1.thumb.jpg.4918fd62a483e318b93adb4e36aa22c5.jpg

Btw trp.....what is your soil geology like down there?  Seems pretty fertile.....sky is the limit when u have good soil. Here in Ocean County its mostly sandy soils. Would love someday to do what u did to a small piece for a deer haven!!

2 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

Btw trp.....what is your soil geology like down there?  Seems pretty fertile.....sky is the limit when u have good soil. Here in Ocean County its mostly sandy soils. Would love someday to do what u did to a small piece for a deer haven!!

Good heavy, rich farm soil. However; the part of Gloucester County closest to Salem County has the best soil where bucks sometimes field dress over 200 pounds. Any buck dressing out at  150 pounds is a heavy deer for my immediate area.

Congrats! I'm on the zone 35 end of Gloucester county.  Just getting started on my 10 acres. May need to get some tips from you. My Rancher house build is spooking the deer right now but a doe and two fawns routinely and about 6 turkey on cameras. Cleared a  circular logging trail about 200 yrds long.. Added No plow clover mix which is growing OK.  For a real wet patch I'm getting another clover type. And one 50 yrd oval patch in no plow for half and something else the wife bought was set earlier. Since I got a turkey in the spring my wife says she has first dibs on the big doe. 

To my west across a small tidal creek is a farm. To the south about 10 more acres of landlocked public woods then houses.  To the east about 6.5 acres, half swamp for sale but likely will never sale. Across the street township land that is farmed and township park no hunting signs. So except for some private owners hunting competition my 10 acres sites in about the middle of 30 acres of woods apparently not hunted except the west farm. (I see tree stands but saw no hunters last fall/winter). Hoping it stays this way and more deer come in. Also hoping for cottontails to increase along with turkeys. 

WOW!! I never would have guessed you are in "my backyard" - that's mainly my area of hunting - z25 Gloucester/Camden county! No wonder I never see any bucks - they are all living on your property !! :D  (Looks like they just need to meander about 2 miles to get to my spot :D ) I'm AMAZED that many bucks are there. Just goes to show you - make them a comfy place where they feel safe, and they will come.

Edited by mazzgolf