Washington Valley Reservoir Possibly Being Closed for Access

Hi Everyone,

New to the forums, but wanted to share / warn that Somerset County Park Commission is voting on 8/12 to possibly close access to Washington Valley Reservoir.

Not sure if it will make a difference or not, but my Mountain Biking (www.mtbnj.com) friends have setup a petition against the vote.

http://chng.it/JPDghpb4BR

Edited by qsilvr99

Isn't the area already closed for hunting and leased out to a local club?  I grew up right there and was pissed when I got into bowhunting and learned it's all leased out to a local club.

Any reason for voting to closing trails/access?

This is probably a reaction to the scum who leave tons of trash behind after enjoying themselves.  I think this is a necessary move because the area will look like a pigsty if the easy access is not curtailed.

You can park in Martinsville or outside Wholefoods and ride over still right?  I am assuming that the car parking will be closed off but I doubt that they will have the resources to actively patrol inside that area...

Edited by madeinuk

Once that became a Somerset County Park and opened as a Mt. Bike recreation park, it's become a overused disgusting mess. Add to this the unsupervised use by swimmers and kayak use and the recent drowning, this is  a probably inevitable outcome. This was a pristine body of water and wonderful area that I spent my time fishing as a youth, like the rest of Martinsville, it has been ruined by progress. 

It most likely is a result of the guy who drowned there back in July.

Everyone gets punished for one person not following the rules and having having a tragic outcome.

They are trying to restrict access to the water, everyone must stay back 100 feet or be fined $1000.  This would make it kind of hard to fish, thus why I posted here.

Most here (I hope) care about the conservation of the resource.  If this is what must happen because a few ass clowns have ruined things then it is what has to happen to protect the resource.

There are a ton of places and hundreds of miles of trails in NJ to MTB ride.  My suggestion would be to ride somewhere else until this blows over.

This summer has seen idiots swarming like hornets all over water bodies with shore access without taking the tine to exercise the common courtesy of carrying out their trash.  Somerset county has been hit hard by this and steps need to be taken.  Sadly, they have to impose a blanket ban or face accusations of discrimination...

Edited by madeinuk
  • Like 1