IGNORED

Widow lost a HUGE Walnut tree & trying to recoup losses

Our neighbor, an elderly widow, lost a HUGE beautiful Walnut tree in this storm the other day. Hate to see it go through a chipper. If she could recoup some of her losses or not incur any more expenses then that would be greatly appreciated due to the fact that she is on a very limited budget.  Was wondering if there were any leads as to anyone who could use it. I knew a bud who made cabinets and furniture out of this stuff but, unfortunately, he has passed. Would be nice to see that tree go to a bunch of stocks or furniture. You hardly see any decent rifle stocks anymore.  Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks

I hope you find a taker it would be a terrible waste to cut and chip a walnut tree.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

4 hours ago, 308federal said:

Our neighbor, an elderly widow, lost a HUGE beautiful Walnut tree in this storm the other day. Hate to see it go through a chipper. If she could recoup some of her losses or not incur any more expenses then that would be greatly appreciated due to the fact that she is on a very limited budget.  Was wondering if there were any leads as to anyone who could use it. I knew a bud who made cabinets and furniture out of this stuff but, unfortunately, he has passed. Would be nice to see that tree go to a bunch of stocks or furniture. You hardly see any decent rifle stocks anymore.  Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks

The only way to utilize it would be to find a guy with a portable sawmill such as a Woodmizer to come out and cut it up on site.  I have a buddy who does it but he's in Stewartsville and wouldn't go all the way out there.  He charges $125.00 setup fee and $0.55 per board foot sawn thereafter, so she would have to hire someone, have it sawn up and then find a buyer for the wood.  Unfortunately I doubt you'll find anyone who will just pay cash for the logs, and if you do it won't be much.  Also, as 68Ioewu1 mentioned some guys won't touch yard trees.  My buddy will but he charges $25.00 every time he hits something to account for downtime and sharpening.  If you have a tree full of nails, etc...that could get expensive very quickly and negate any profit from the wood itself.  

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

The only way to utilize it would be to find a guy with a portable sawmill such as a Woodmizer to come out and cut it up on site.  I have a buddy who does it but he's in Stewartsville and wouldn't go all the way out there.  He charges $125.00 setup fee and $0.55 per board foot sawn thereafter, so she would have to hire someone, have it sawn up and then find a buyer for the wood.  Unfortunately I doubt you'll find anyone who will just pay cash for the logs, and if you do it won't be much.  Also, as 68Ioewu1 mentioned some guys won't touch yard trees.  My buddy will but he charges $25.00 every time he hits something to account for downtime and sharpening.  If you have a tree full of nails, etc...that could get expensive very quickly and negate any profit from the wood itself.  
You can find tree guys that we cut it to length and haul it to a sawmill for like 50 % of the profit...
Value depends on the tree and the size and how straight it is before the 1st branch.
Blaxk walnuts can be worth some money if they are the right size and grade, but many people think they have a diamond and thats not always the case.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, flukebelly said:

If you’re interested, give me one cut round of the tree and i can make her a large bowl or platter from the tree. No charge - it would provide a nice memory for her ( if she liked the tree ) . Send me a pm if you want.

Here’s some pretty black walnut...

CD534C77-1C22-4E9F-98A0-876EFAAB7B64.jpeg

CFDA8E24-C9B4-452C-8343-D3ADB3D99B45.jpeg

Very nice bowl and offer @flukebelly!