Do you carry in your own house?

For the "carry at home" advocates talking about always being prepared- So you are saying that you want to be prepared for the moment someone smashes down your door, throws a flash bang, and enters your house? Because if you are that worried about a situation to carry, why not just grab it each time someone is at the door? It makes way more sense just to get a ring doorbell or a home security system than carrying all the time in your own home. 

Get a dog. They are companions, hunting partners, and will warn you of danger- also they will give you precious extra seconds if needed to gain the upper hand. 

The "what if's" are endless. Most break-ins are opportunistic/drug related. not by some trained person.

Edited by Hawkeye57
  • Like 1

I agree with RPK0620 and Mattg1500. Its not paranoid if you feel comfortable carrying in your own home. Its probably even better than having a loaded gun laying around in every room.  Is it wrong to carry outside on your own property? I can see if you live in a neighborhood with small yards. The neighbors may feel threaten. Like the situation in Missouri when the couple showed their guns outside to their "neighbors". But, if you have a large piece property and no neighbors. There should be no issue. I have that situation and raise animals. I sometimes carry when there are predators threatening my animals.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Hawkeye57 said:

For the "carry at home" advocates talking about always being prepared- So you are saying that you want to be prepared for the moment someone smashes down your door, throws a flash bang, and enters your house? Because if you are that worried about a situation to carry, why not just grab it each time someone is at the door? It makes way more sense just to get a ring doorbell or a home security system than carrying all the time in your own home. 

Get a dog. They are companions, hunting partners, and will warn you of danger- also they will give you precious extra seconds if needed to gain the upper hand. 

The "what if's" are endless. Most break-ins are opportunistic/drug related. not by some trained person.

There's countless examples readily available to read online regarding why you would need a gun.  Few (if any) are around illegal entry using flash bangs.  Many are around criminals doing terrible things with very bad intentions.  And don't discount mail delivery, look no farther than the recent George Floyd incident and his history of posing as a delivery person to gain entry into a woman's home.  Most break-ins are for the purpose of theft, but that doesn't mean ill intentions to the home owner and residents aren't included either pre-meditated or reactively once the situation unfolds.  The reality is, you (and I and everyone) are playing the odds every day.  The odds are nothing will happen, but the day it does and you are unprepared or under-prepared, it could be your last, there are no second chances.  Some call it paranoid, some call it prepared.  I agree with the security system, assuming you get active alerts for motion (which could often get turned off from false alarms) and of course entry (in which case you are still faced with gaining awareness [if you're dead asleep] and getting from where you are to where your gun is before that person finds you or your family).  Also agree on the dog, great deterrent and they'll hear things LONG before you do!

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Hawkeye57 said:

Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on concealed carry when out in public?  Where legal of course.

And for the record, I do not carry when I’m at home but certainly agree with the principle and the concept. I do bring a firearm to the door when I am not expecting someone and I also carry on my property if I am doing a private sale of goods such as a craigslist sale

• Like 1
1 minute ago, OldPiney Woods said:

I agree with RPK0620 and Mattg1500. Its not paranoid if you feel comfortable carrying in your own home. Its probably even better than having a loaded gun laying around in every room.  Is it wrong to carry outside on your own property? I can see if you live in a neighborhood with small yards. The neighbors may feel threaten. Like the situation in Missouri when the couple showed their guns outside to their "neighbors". But, if you have a large piece property and no neighbors. There should be no issue. I have that situation and raise animals. I sometimes carry when there are predators threatening my animals.

I agree with the exception of carrying outdoors and how your neighbors feel about it.  Today's society has taught people to be "uncomfortable" around guns as opposed to recognizing they are lawful and law abiding citizens have the right to possess them.  The mere presence of a gun doesn't make it dangerous, it's an inanimate object.  Of course, you still need to follow the laws and be aware of what you can and can't do in your state/municipality. 

2 minutes ago, OldPiney Woods said:

What sound do intruders to a home fear most? Its not a barking dog or an alarm. It is someone racking a round in a pump shotgun.

I think they'll avoid both, but the latter certainly has a nice ring to it! :)

• Agree 1
9 minutes ago, smittty said:

OK well we’re on the subject how many of you guys play quick draw in front of the mirror lol

Well if I ever need to throw in the famous "Are you talkin to me" line, I know I won't mess it up

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It is a simple principle....want what you don't have. Most that legally can carry, do not. At least from what I can tell. I seldom carry a gun. Those who can't look for every possible way of doing so....carry in pa w sportsmans license or take concealed carry course for states that allow it. Grass is always greener. A lot of added responsibility when you carry a  concealed weapon. I have friends that carry 100 % of the time. I don't. 

• Winner 1
8 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

There's countless examples readily available to read online regarding why you would need a gun.  Few (if any) are around illegal entry using flash bangs.  Many are around criminals doing terrible things with very bad intentions.  And don't discount mail delivery, look no farther than the recent George Floyd incident and his history of posing as a delivery person to gain entry into a woman's home.  Most break-ins are for the purpose of theft, but that doesn't mean ill intentions to the home owner and residents aren't included either pre-meditated or reactively once the situation unfolds.  The reality is, you (and I and everyone) is playing the odds every day.  The odds are nothing will happen, but the day it does and you are unprepared or under-prepared, it could be your last, there are no second chances.  Some call is paranoid, some call is prepared.  I agree with the security system, assuming you get active alerts for motion (which could often get turned off from false alarms) and of course entry (in which case you are still faced with gaining awareness [if you're dead asleep] and getting from where you are to where your gun is before that person finds you or your family).  Also agree on the dog, great deterrent and they'll hear things LONG before you do!

I wonder what would our lives look like if we applied this type of vigilance to everything which is  at least as, or more danger than home burglaries. For example in NJ you are almost 3 times more likely to get injured or killed in a car accident than having someone break into your house. Not you being injured or killed but having your house invaded.  If you live in a safe area, with low crime, the number maybe 10 times more likely or higher. The list of things that can get you is very long.

I don’t carry in my home but I have enough around the house in hidden spots that within about 5 seconds I could have a gun in my hand if need be.  I don’t have any children so I have the capability of not having every single gun locked up.  Once you have young ones that all changes. 

• Agree 2
29 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

There's countless examples readily available to read online regarding why you would need a gun.  Few (if any) are around illegal entry using flash bangs.  Many are around criminals doing terrible things with very bad intentions.  And don't discount mail delivery,

Countless- yes. Statistically/odds- no. My point with the flash bang was meant for the point of at home. If you are worried about a person at the door, like your example of delivery, it would make just as much sense, if not more, just to keep a gun at the door than to always be wearing it. The only time that doesnt make sense is my example of the flash bang. It was a purposeful exaggeration lol