IGNORED

Tractors-lets see 'em...

Swamp_Yankee

Thanks Swamp Yankees! The barn has the original beams still from late 1700’s, the outside was redone by the Amish in 2011. As far as the tractor size goes make sure you pay attention to weight of the tractor as much as the HP. Most tractors can lift more then they safely can move. I had a 2500 pound 27 horse tractor and it was dangerous when moving heavy objects like rocks and trees. And it was a little underpowered for dragging a box blade up my driveway. I then bought a 55hp 6500 pound Deere and it’s a completely different animal compared to what I had. Filling the tires with beet juice helps add weight and stability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Farmshine said:

Thanks Swamp Yankees! The barn has the original beams still from late 1700’s, the outside was redone by the Amish in 2011. As far as the tractor size goes make sure you pay attention to weight of the tractor as much as the HP. Most tractors can lift more then they safely can move. I had a 2500 pound 27 horse tractor and it was dangerous when moving heavy objects like rocks and trees. And it was a little underpowered for dragging a box blade up my driveway. I then bought a 55hp 6500 pound Deere and it’s a completely different animal compared to what I had. Filling the tires with beet juice helps add weight and stability.

Good points.  I've definitely experienced that with the Kubota, but it has no weight the frame or wheels/tires at all.  I might actually go for something in the middle, around 35HP/3500lbs and fill the tires front and rear.  I ran the numbers on a tractor about that size and beet juice alone would add nearly 650lbs.  

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

1 minute ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

Good points.  I've definitely experienced that with the Kubota, but it has no weight the frame or wheels/tires at all.  I might actually go for something in the middle, around 35HP/3500lbs and fill the tires front and rear.  I ran the numbers on a tractor about that size and beet juice alone would add nearly 650lbs.  

You'll rarely if ever say my tractor is too heavy to do a task or has too much power.  It really boils down to focusing on the 95% of your tasks and what tractor fits the bill.  As tractor size goes up, so does the price tag of it and everything it uses.  Sometimes it's better/cheaper to just rent something to do that other 5% that trying to get a tractor to do it anyway.   For 2 acres a 35HP machine is BIG but it all boils down to what you want and what you want to do with it.  And if you're going to use it off your property to do other things, that (and trailering) is also a consideration.  Good luck with your decision, keep us posted on what direction you go! :up:

I had a Ford model 1920 diesel 4x4 for years.......backhoe and front bucket........lots of fun........stopped using it and sold it for way too cheap.......I miss my tractor........

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

I keep seeing tractors in the 30-40hp range up for sale but after putting so much $ into my machine (tires, filling tires. 3rd function for grapple) i need to find one with the 3rd function to sell mine and make it worth upgrading. 24hp does me wonders but its still too small and light for many projects I have.. i need more lift power and weight.
I actually need 2 machines.. dont tell my wife.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I've had an old Ford FEL for 40 years that paid for itself many times over on my last property. I was so attached to it, that I took it with me when I sold and now it sits next to my house in a 1 acre residential lot. The only thing I continually wished for and still do, is a backhoe.  Unless you plan on doing a lot of plowing, food plot work, I wouldn't even consider not having a backhoe.