Tractors-lets see 'em...

Swamp_Yankee

I really need to get a tractor with a FEL at this point but the compacts and even subcompacts these days are big $$$ and would require financing which I don't want to do.  On the used market it seems like $8-10K is the going rate for a used tractor with FEL and dropping that kind of cash isn't exactly easy right now.  That said I'm still trying to figure out what size I really need also.  I use my neighbor's old 4x4 Kubota which is great but I also feel like I could get away with something a tad smaller.  Show us what you got and tell us what you do with it!

55 minutes ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

I really need to get a tractor with a FEL at this point but the compacts and even subcompacts these days are big $$$ and would require financing which I don't want to do.  On the used market it seems like $8-10K is the going rate for a used tractor with FEL and dropping that kind of cash isn't exactly easy right now.  That said I'm still trying to figure out what size I really need also.  I use my neighbor's old 4x4 Kubota which is great but I also feel like I could get away with something a tad smaller.  Show us what you got and tell us what you do with it!

What size property and what kind of tasks? Open or wooded?

Financing wise you can often get zero interest loans to help pay it off, that's what I did.  Also look for deals on buying implements with the tractor, there's often discounts.  :up:

4 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Kubota B2650, awesome machine!

Back and time saver!  I don't keep the grapple load that high other than for a pic and have an HD box blade for ballast in the back! :)

B1C32424-4BAC-49EF-AE75-9FF5597D1D15.jpeg

07F0B831-5B7C-4D1F-903E-14C83B934A79.jpeg

9FC2AF16-C879-4482-8D4D-0DDDB17F858B.jpeg

7DA15AE3-DE93-4456-AFED-AD4171EA87DD.jpeg

43EBD205-2DFD-4100-A157-DBBAE8F702C3.jpeg

02340716-A02E-4161-9757-C8C6DD500770.jpeg

58FD3004-304B-4560-9752-7807D9298BEA.jpeg

What make is your grapple?

25 minutes ago, Dmg14b said:

What make is your grapple?

Everything Attachments 

55 Inch Wicked Root Rake Grapple

Model:  ETA-55-WRRGEA

https://www.everythingattachments.com/55-Inch-Wicked-Root-Rake-Grapple-p/eta-55-wrrg.htm

Paid for itself the first day I used it!  Very well made, zero complaints.  Awesome implement!

Note you'll need a 3rd function hydraulic run to the FEL to connect to and operate it.  My FEL is quick attach but you can get pin on models too.  However if you're buying a tractor I would get or covert to the QA system it's super simple to swap the bucket to grapple or some other front end implement! :up:

1 hour ago, Farmshine said:

John Deere 5055E. I use it to pick things up and knock things down. I have a power angle plow, a brush hog, box blade, disc, FEL and a stump grapple. It’s bigger then I need and I don’t regret it.

Forget the tractor-that's a beautiful barn!  

20 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

What size property and what kind of tasks? Open or wooded?  Financing wise you can often get zero interest loans to help pay it off, that's what I did.  Also look for deals on buying implements with the tractor, there's often discounts.  :up:

We have about 2 acres tucked back among 250 acres of farmland and woods which surrounds us. About half of our land is cleared with the house, deck/patio, barn and small toolshed. Behind that is the "yard" which I mow with a zero turn. Then there are a few old animal pens (previous owner had sheep-we may get goats in the future), behind that is a small field that slopes down to our pond, then there is about 3/4 of an acre of swampy woods behind that. My neighbor on the south side has an old Kubota L245DT with FEL (basically a 40+ year old version of yours) that he lets me use basically whenever I need it to do various things around the property, but I'd really like to have my own at this point. The 245DT seems to be sized pretty well for the trails that we have and the uneven terrain.  I've used it to skid logs, pull snags down, pop stumps out, etc...and the limiting factor has always been traction. I've started spinning wheels before I've ever had the tractor bog down-there is no weight on it at all and I would be interested to see what it could do with filled tires, wheel weights or a front/rear weight box. That said it does pretty much what I need it to do. Around here I don't really have a need to pull implements like a brush hog-about the only thing it would pull would be a trailer of some sort. Rather than having a tractor for a few dedicated tasks, I will use the tractor mostly for doing "odd jobs" associated with fixing up/reclaiming our old farm property.

Recurring tasks:

• Moving logs/firewood.
  • Gravel road maintenance (filling potholes, pulling a drag, etc...).
  • Snow cleanup (not road plowing-I handle that with the truck) around the house and buildings.

Upcoming projects that I'll use the tractor for:

• Moving gravel/grading 25' x 60' parking area in prepartion for paving.
  • Building a boulder wall (using rock sourced from the property) alongside the parking area.
  • Spreading gravel over a corduroy road I'm building through the swamp in the rear of the property.
  • Tearing down an old 16' x 20' timber frame barn and building a new 20' x 32' pole barn.
  • Hauling boulders and other material down to our pond to build up the bank.

Given all of this, should I stick with something comparable to the L245DT, go a bit smaller for greater maneuverability (I definitely don't need something larger)?  I am confident in saying that I absolutely need 4WD. Too much mud and uneven ground around here. My neighbor bought his property in 1975 and started with a 2WD tractor that got stuck pretty much anywhere he took it. After about two years of that he bought the Kubota and never got stuck again.

Definitely 4WD.  

If I read correctly, you're on 2 acres and have those tasks in mind.  In the Kubota line the BX or B series would fit well.  The B is bigger and will make tasks quicker.  The BX is certainly smaller, lower, etc but still a very capable machine.   It's also a lot lighter so if you plan on ground engaging work, the heavier and more HP the better. 

Weighted tires will only do so much and won't compare to a heavier and higher HP tractor.  The turning radius on my smaller B series is perfect for woods work.  The B is perfect for my flat 5 acres but there are times doing ground work that I spin wheels too.  Just have to ease off a little, pull a little less, etc.  Some tasks take longer than a bigger tractor but it'll do the job.

The other thing to be mindful of is flat vs hills and wheelbase.  The B2650 is on the narrow side which is fine for my flat lands but in the mountains or hills it can get sketchy and want to tilt over.  

Go bigger than you think you need.  Hauling boulders will require a decent size tractor with some counter weight on the back. I have a 4740 Kubota 4wd with loader 49 hp. It can lift more than it can handle. My tractor has been very reliable, does pretty much what ever I need to do around a 50 acre property. 

I also do all my food plots with it. 

20150704_182936.thumb.jpg.8a7169d509574fa1de40dc2b7290b20d.jpg720170119_094714.thumb.jpg.95ef065337f777dba4449724a35427ec.jpg20170128_153853.thumb.jpg.a35646c13647a321e500cf41439216a0.jpg