MeatEater

Rod/Reel question...

I use both Penn and Shimano.  I used shimano stradics for over 30 years or there about. I like my older stradics not a fan of the new ones i bought at all. I either got real unlucky or bought junk because the last 3 i bought had issues right out of the box was not happy. I have switched to Penn Conflicts instead and will buy more. I use my old stradics  all the time just won't buy a newer model. Liveliners the old penn captiva liveliner were junk but were also low end live liners. The USA slammer live liner was and still is a great reel the   new spinfisher liveliner i have only one and it reminds of the older tica live liner meets the old USA slammer incredible reel so far. And  heavy salt i don't do much anymore but always used Penn.  Shimano tends to be about the smoothest reels. Just not in the long haul unless you're spending a lot. You definitely get what you pay for in shimano. But often with penn you get alot more for less and they tend to last a long time with simple care. I like them both and can find flaws with both. But a the end of the day i use them both for one species or other. It's all good. So that's my on topic and off topic whatever it is lol. Either way enjoy the setup Meat eater cool.

• Like 1

Good points Hemlock :up: I personally will take Diawa over most. All depends on your use. I started out using a lot of shimanos and never got the longevity out of them. I have 20 year old abu 5500/6500 that are still in use for bottom fish. Change the carbontex drags every couple years and they operate flawless. I have transitioned over to Diawas and am really happy with their strength and reliability. When it comes to spinning the BG gives the performance of reels costing 2-3 times their price. The Lexas are unbelievable strong and the saltist and satiga are bulletproof 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I have not been happy with my penn spinning reels as I f late. I have both of the latest model spin fishers and I just don’t care for the resistance they have to reel. Not sure if that makes sense but my diawas just seem much smoother and effortless when reeling. I do have 2 penn fathom 20 level winds thanks to hammers recommendation years ago that are awesome reels. I just haven’t been happy with their spinning reels as of late. 

11 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Good points Hemlock :up: I personally will take Diawa over most. All depends on your use. I started out using a lot of shimanos and never got the longevity out of them. I have 20 year old abu 5500/6500 that are still in use for bottom fish. Change the carbontex drags every couple years and they operate flawless. I have transitioned over to Diawas and am really happy with their strength and reliability. When it comes to spinning the BG gives the performance of reels costing 2-3 times their price. The Lexas are unbelievable strong and the saltist and satiga are bulletproof 

What diawas are you running now? I just picked up a BG that I’m happy with. Very nice reel for the money. 

4 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

I hear a lot of good stuff about that BG. I think i may have to buy one. I still have my old daiwa tournament ss reels they were my steelhead reels. And they all work great still. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Mallard1100 said:

What diawas are you running now? I just picked up a BG that I’m happy with. Very nice reel for the money. 

Diawa BG’s and the Lexa. Slowly going to replace all spinning with the BG’s and another Lexa for my 1-8oz rod. So impressed with the Lexa

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Diawa BG’s and the Lexa. Slowly going to replace all spinning with the BG’s and another Lexa for my 1-8oz rod. So impressed with the Lexa

I’m running BGs 3000 and 2500 for about 3 yrs.
Really like the Lexa and will be getting more. I also have the Saltist it’s a little heavy but again many years of no issues. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OMC said:

I’m running BGs 3000 and 2500 for about 3 yrs.
Really like the Lexa and will be getting more. I also have the Saltist it’s a little heavy but again many years of no issues. 

Yea I was going to look saltiga/saltist but with the power and comfort the Lexa has I am leaning that way. I mainly bottom fish and a bit of striper... no tuna etc so really no need for the saltiga

7 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Yea I was going to look saltiga/saltist but with the power and comfort the Lexa has I am leaning that way. I mainly bottom fish and a bit of striper... no tuna etc so really no need for the saltiga

I have the Saltist for deep water bottom fishing and Striper chunking. It has a clicker which the Lexa’s don’t. I really like the Lexa for Bucktailing and Tog ! Like I said I’m getting more for sure. 

• Like 1

Gonna get the BG2500 for the delaware for walleye etc. And the BG 8000 for taking out rafters on the Delaware. With 8 million yards of mono and a weighted treble my troubles will soon be over.. LOL

• Haha 1