IGNORED

Rod/Reel question...

MeatEater

After several years of using the captain's rods, I decided to get my own rod for striped bass fishing. 

Had no idea what to get but had a general idea of what I like. Several hours of research later, I came up with the combo below.

Is this a good combination for striper, using braided line, fishing from boat and using mostly a chunk of bunker for bait?

Any suggestions which braided line to get? 

Shimano Teramar Conventional Rod TMCE70MH

Shimano Torium Conventional Reel TOR20HGA

Thanks.

All depends on how much you want to spend. That is a nice set up. If you want to take a step up on the reel, look at the shimano talica 10. I personally like the cortland c16 braid for conventional reels. The seagar threadlock is great too. I am not a fan of the power pro, but many say the power pro hollow ace is good. 

3 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

All depends on how much you want to spend. That is a nice set up. If you want to take a step up on the reel, look at the shimano talica 10. I personally like the cortland c16 braid for conventional reels. The seagar threadlock is great too. I am not a fan of the power pro, but many say the power pro hollow ace is good. 

Thanks... I will look into the talica 10.

just a drop and reel set up?,,, I'd go with a shimano liveline reel set up, I have one that gets used with live bunker and is very good. Also allows you to cast plugs and such, can't beat top water action.

the torium is overkill for stripers, my torium i use for tuna jigging.

Edited by Greg

13 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

I like the penn fathom level wind in the 20 series , matched to a glass rod.

50 pound braid  I use Berkley X9/ with a top shot of 50 pound Berkley pro spec mono

Penn is still in business??:laughing:

1 hour ago, MGHunter66 said:

Ofcourse, they are the reels you buy when you don’t want to spend three times as much for a shimano of the same quality;) 

Lets be real!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Penn is only in business because they make one good reel.....Penn international. Not a better reel out there then the Shimano Talica. 

1 hour ago, nmc02 said:

Lets be real!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Penn is only in business because they make one good reel.....Penn international. Not a better reel out there then the Shimano Talica. 

Penn has a full line up of great reels .

the fathom line up is as good as you can buy for the money they cost .

go look at the thousands of charter boats in Alaska and see how many have trouble free Penn reels , and how NONE  have Shimano’s.

only shimano product you may see will be the old Trevalla rods .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, hammer4reel said:

Penn has a full line up of great reels .

the fathom line up is as good as you can buy for the money they cost .

go look at the thousands of charter boats in Alaska and see how many have trouble free Penn reels , and how NONE  have Shimano’s.

only shimano product you may see will be the old Trevalla rods .

I may be presumptuous, but figure you buy penn because you get best deal on them. The last Penn reel I purchased lasted about three weeks. They made a bait runner reel that locked up. Saw many Shimano reels in Alaska when I was there. Some like Dodge, and some like Toyota....

1 hour ago, nmc02 said:

I may be presumptuous, but figure you buy penn because you get best deal on them. The last Penn reel I purchased lasted about three weeks. They made a bait runner reel that locked up. Saw many Shimano reels in Alaska when I was there. Some like Dodge, and some like Toyota....

Fortunately I can buy anything I want to fish with .

When I was running charters I started with Toriums and Tekotas , they barely made it through a season .

not going to use 4/500 dollar reels such as Talicas for everyday charter use .

seen too many newbies lose equipment .

not sure what reel you had fail , but currently in the spinning bait runner reels there isn’t one better than the Spin Fisher IV.

they are being used daily by charters using that type of equipment without failure since being redisgned to handle fish such as tuna .

comparing reels though as you constantly do that cost twice as much as what most guys are spending isn’t comparing apples to apples .

its like comparing a Perazzi to an 870..

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

57 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Fortunately I can buy anything I want to fish with .

When I was running charters I started with Toriums and Tekotas , they barely made it through a season .

not going to use 4/500 dollar reels such as Talicas for everyday charter use .

seen too many newbies lose equipment .

not sure what reel you had fail , but currently in the spinning bait runner reels there isn’t one better than the Spin Fisher IV.

they are being used daily by charters using that type of equipment without failure since being redisgned to handle fish such as tuna .

comparing reels though as you constantly do that cost twice as much as what most guys are spending isn’t comparing apples to apples .

its like comparing a Perazzi to an 870..

I don't disagree...but, am a believer you get what you pay for. I have NEVER had a single shimano reel fail. Not once. I think the talica is amongst the best conventional reels ever made. I have the 10, 12, 25, & 50. I have landed 250 lb fish w the 25 more than once. To each their own.