IGNORED

Beginner Bow Hunter

IronBait

4 minutes ago, deletereturnshift said:

Highly recommend Skips'. They helped get my first bow squared away and installed a new peep sight a few months ago. Great service and great price.

Okay, I will give them a call. Which bow did you purchase from them and how do you like it?

1 minute ago, IronBait said:

Okay, I will give them a call. Which bow did you purchase from them and how do you like it?

I received my bow as a gift over Christmas, it was purchased at a big box store. It's a Bear Vast.

They helped tune my bow and make sure it was shooting straight, cut some arrows that I purchased elsewhere and glued in inserts. I did buy the peep sight there though.

Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Member

NWTF Member

Just now, IronBait said:

No deer hunting experience. Last year was my first season out. Wasn't successful but learned a ton. I did firearm, but I want to get into the bow aspect for the fact that in the lovely state of NJ bow hunting can put more food on the table than the 1 week of firearm lol

definitely find the best shop near you for service and start that relationship.   Do not overspend on your first bow - do not need top end Matthews, Hoyt, Bowtech, etc.   Make sure they are clear on your entry level needs. Most important is to get a bow that FITS you - draw length has to be perfect.   Avoid top end speed bows, tell them you want one that is most forgiving and smoothest to shoot. Longer axle to axle and longer brace heights are going to provide you with that.  Do NOT feel need to draw high poundage either - unless you can draw 70# effortlessly without the slightest bit of struggle, stay on the lower end of that spectrum.   Will make you a better shooter and accuracy and hemorrhaging from a well placed arrow is what kills deer quickly, and not SPEED.   This is best advice I can give you.   

1) Perfect fit / draw length.  (do not attempt this on your own - go to a good pro shop)

2) Longer axle to axle / longer brace heights - most forgiving, easiest shooting.

3) Lower draw weights - must be able to draw effortlessly

4) Don't break the bank on your first set up!

5) Properly cut and spined arrows for your set-up (again do not attempt yourself, need a good pro to set you up). 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

7 minutes ago, IronBait said:

No deer hunting experience. Last year was my first season out. Wasn't successful but learned a ton. I did firearm, but I want to get into the bow aspect for the fact that in the lovely state of NJ bow hunting can put more food on the table than the 1 week of firearm lol

If you are in Mercer- I highly recommend checking out Cheyanne or Skips. (Didnt read all the other comments). Cheyanne will have a larger selection (I havent been to skips since the opened so things may have changed)

Did you hunt that area we scouted last summer? 

Down here in south jersey there’s the rack shack but that’s a bit away from you.
just make sure you practice shooting from an elevated position as well.  

EXPERIENCE EXPERIENCE EXPERIENCE 

my 2nd time trying to post this the first one just disappeared... when I got my first bow it was from a place called BUTTS & BOWS in Belleville NJ just walking into that place made me feel cool, it was a BEAR package with quiver arrows & sight ready to shoot I was 10 yrs old when I grew out of that I bought a golden eagle same place... fast forward 1996 I’m out of the marines and they are no longer open my research leads me to a place called STRICTLY ARCHERY !!!! 
I wanted the latest craze carbon fiber arrows ..... the place advertised that one of the guys there shot archery in the OLYMPICS & that your bow will get tuned by an Olympic archer ...

dropped the bow off told him I wanted carbon fiber arrows he said he would figure out which would fly best for my bow.... I get the call bow is ready I get there and the cocky guy said these aluminum game getters will do the trick he said the carbons didn’t fly well out of my bow....ok he knows best But I leave with a bad feeling in my gut.... I GOT THE FEELING HE WAS JUST INTERESTED IN GETTING RID OF OLD STOCK well in the past few months I read his shop was closing .....looks like his SHYSTERNESS caught up with him..

then more research leads me to TARGETEERS a family owned business that was around when BUTTS & BOWS were open ... the only pic on their wall that impressed me was the one with his dad and FRED BEAR talk about EXPERIENCE....

he has a wall full of famous football and baseball players not impressed I don’t care about that but these guys have the money to buy anywhere and from anyone in the U.S. but somehow they end up at TARGETEERS ..... when I first went there I sorta felt like I was being ignored did they even see me walk in I wait my turn... I bought a 2010 Mathews MONSTER 7.0....

years later a buy a used bow from the other site HOYT CARBON SPYDER for the wife Rob set it up......

buy the best bow u can buy if u have to save more money to do so SO BE IT!!!!

later u won’t be doubting your equipment my childhood buddy bought a bear from dicks sporting goods the bow won’t hold a tune every year he has to sight in the bow. He picks up my monster and shoots a bullseye 🎯 every time.... so naturally he’s a good shot.....

THINGS MAY BE A LITTLE BIT MORE THAN LANCASTER ARCHERY BUT THATS THE PRICE OF DOING BUSINESS HANDS ON EXPERIENCE PASSED DOWN FROM TRUE HUNTERS

B16C67CF-827E-41D4-9243-401A5BD8C586.jpeg

Edited by Monster Marine

On 7/27/2020 at 9:14 AM, Hawkeye57 said:

If you are in Mercer- I highly recommend checking out Cheyanne or Skips. (Didnt read all the other comments). Cheyanne will have a larger selection (I havent been to skips since the opened so things may have changed)

Wife and I went to Cheyanne at one point. Was excited to go there. However, not sure what it was, but we weren't received very well there. Almost as if no one wnated to speak to us or answer our questions. I heard good things about them, I'd just rather not give them my financial support. I do appreciate the suggestion though.

Hi everyone, I just want to thank everyone for their responses and help. I am looking at Basspro to purchase my Bow and going to Heritage Guild of Branchburg for setup. I have 2 links below to 2 bows that I am considering. As I am new to this, just wondering if anyone who has time can take a look and let me know which would be the better of the 2. I couldn't see any real differences, maybe an expert eye can tell me. 

Thanks in advance!!

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/diamond-by-bowtech-provider-rak-compound-bow-package

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/diamond-by-bowtech-100260224

2 hours ago, IronBait said:

Hi everyone, I just want to thank everyone for their responses and help. I am looking at Basspro to purchase my Bow and going to Heritage Guild of Branchburg for setup. I have 2 links below to 2 bows that I am considering. As I am new to this, just wondering if anyone who has time can take a look and let me know which would be the better of the 2. I couldn't see any real differences, maybe an expert eye can tell me. 

Thanks in advance!!

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/diamond-by-bowtech-provider-rak-compound-bow-package

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/diamond-by-bowtech-100260224

Do you know your proper draw length and what weight bow you are very comfortable drawing?  I would NOT order anything online unless you know this for sure - hence the reason to order from a good pro shop.   Give them the few extra bucks you are saving with bass pro ....     That being said, the package price you listed on the diamond is hard to pass up, and it looks like it comes with ability to mod draw lengths and draw weight all within the same bow and they do not sell bows within more narrow D/L and poundage ranges...  

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Yea, I wanted to support Heritage. They are actually recommending the Edge 320. They just don't have any in stock.. so I figured, buy it online where there is stock and go to Heritage and have them size it for me. I figured with the wide range of draw length and poundage of the bow. I'm sure I will fall somewhere within that range. I'm 6'0 tall 250lbs, broad build.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, midwestxpress said:

Find a shop, buy your bow at the shop. Set up is usually free. You will get better service if you have to return for something small. I've used Vinny who is now at Cheyenne for over twenty years , he's never did me wrong. 

I'll give Cheyenne another shot. I'll call tomorrow, hopefully they have in stock