IGNORED

Zone 5 - Whittingham questions

APG

Hi all,

So I usually hunt southern Jersey and Allamuchy, but I’ve been scouting Whittingham WMA today and had some questions.

. Does anyone have any theories on why it feels like perfect bear habitat? The deeper I got, I found more and more bear scat including one pile still warm. Are there actually a tonne of Bear out there? It doesn’t seem like it should have more or less than Allamuchy or Water Gap, but it felt like there are way more.

. I didn’t see a lot of deer sign - saw a few doe, all immature. Is this area hit really hard each year? Is it a bad idea to spend time here?

. I went through the entire area except the swamp right in the middle. Growth is so thick I could barely get in there. I feel like the south eastern section was promising, with some good funnels and those weird fields, but again, didn’t see much sign. What areas work for folks? Any advice?

Or should I just call it and perhaps start hunting the Delaware Water Gap area - just walking trails there this summer I’ve seen some big ass bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by JHbowhunter

The area is prime Bear and deer area.....being it's  a WMA it gets hit hard .....deeper you go in and further away from others the better you will be

Gap is also good, tougher hunting, no baiting, deer and bears have alot more more room to roam and hide 

Whittingham is loaded with bears - for sure. Needs a bear hunt. Great deer habitat but gets hit very hard all gun season long by deer drives.  It also gets stocked with a lot of birds so add that constant intrusion to the deer drives and it’s not an optimal recipe for quality deer hunting. Deer thrive where they feel safe and are not constantly pushed. Whittingham does not provide that environment but like any WMA if you put the time in and find a pocket where deer might feel safe - success can be had. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

• 1 month later...