IGNORED

CRABBING HELP NEEDED

bushden

OK here is my story, wife asked me to take her crabbing today but I have not been crabbing since I sold the boat two years ago. I had a place I use to go to in West Creek so I loaded up and went out this morning 1 hour before high tide. after 4 hours we had two keepers This was the worst day ever. If I had the boat like past years I would have loaded up but that was not to be today. I NEED HELP to find a place that we can go mid state  and catch some crabs where WE WILL NOT BE CROWDED AND CAN SOCIAL DISTANCE. We are both seniors and need to protect ourselves.  OK GUY I AM HOPING SOMEONE WILL GIVE UP A SECRET SITE so we can try again next week

Edited by bushden

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

Crabbing has been real good in a lil bit deeper water.....around 6 ft deep....i tried the 2 days ago using my childhood tactics that work anywhere that allows u to walk out into the water.......walk out bout waste deep.....push down 5 tomato stakes (7 ft rebar or PVC works good) into the bottom.....spread poles bout 10 yds from each other.....tie on 3 chicken leg lines to eah pole....n start checking lines w a dip net wen they are straight.....constant action...really fun to do!

But keepers were hard to come by....i was catching 4 small crabs on 1 line....12 keeps in 2 hrs. 

Felt like some keepers were dropping off when u pulled up line n  they saw sunlight....which never happened wen I was a kid.....seems like they adapted. 

Topless traps in a bit deeper water is now the preferred method. 

Resized_20200722_160214(1).jpg

I'm following this because I leave for Lavallette  area in a couple of hours for some vacation time with the family and damned if I'm going to lay on the hot sand for several days working on skin cancer.  I have found some spots i think I can access and I re-rigged my old crab traps from maybe 40 years ago (!) and the last question I have is bait?  I know chicken necks are always popular as is bunker.  What's the bait(s) of choice these days?  And thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

I'm following this because I leave for Lavallette  area in a couple of hours for some vacation time with the family and damned if I'm going to lay on the hot sand for several days working on skin cancer.  I have found some spots i think I can access and I re-rigged my old crab traps from maybe 40 years ago (!) and the last question I have is bait?  I know chicken necks are always popular as is bunker.  What's the bait(s) of choice these days?  And thanks in advance.

Nice Brian!!  Lavallette is awesome!!

Can't go wrong w chicken legs......dozen or more for $5 bucks, durable, stays on line good, sinks well (unlike chicken back u have to strip the fat off), and grill n eat what u don't use!!

And.....bring that DEAD memorabilia for me to check out....i think u said u had pics from old shows......im just across the bridge in Toms River. 

3 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Trying to match the hatch eh.lol... either works just as good as the other,crabs don't care. Quit many crabs many ways traps, handline on boat. My friend Ralph and I would Wade off a lagoon in toms River,sweep a 100' net, to the beach and cull,salt water version of shad at lambertville,one an done. When I just wanted to relax I would sit at a dock, use my six foot spinning outfit, 6"wire bluefish hook, a little playmate next to me with bunker and beer and the old 6 foot wooden pole net. Hook a bunkerhead through eyes and cast out and retrieve slowly. You can cover a lot of water this way and different depths. You'll feel em latch on, kicking,crab on lol... Leave the net in the water if you can when you get the crab close Lift slowly with one arm and scoop em with the other arm. Any way you do it Brian, have fun 👍

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

6 hours ago, Bonefreak said:

Crabbing has been real good in a lil bit deeper water.....around 6 ft deep....i tried the 2 days ago using my childhood tactics that work anywhere that allows u to walk out into the water.......walk out bout waste deep.....push down 5 tomato stakes (7 ft rebar or PVC works good) into the bottom.....spread poles bout 10 yds from each other.....tie on 3 chicken leg lines to eah pole....n start checking lines w a dip net wen they are straight.....constant action...really fun to do!

But keepers were hard to come by....i was catching 4 small crabs on 1 line....12 keeps in 2 hrs. 

Felt like some keepers were dropping off when u pulled up line n  they saw sunlight....which never happened wen I was a kid.....seems like they adapted. 

Topless traps in a bit deeper water is now the preferred method. 

Resized_20200722_160214(1).jpg

I endorse topless fluking as well.

FB_IMG_1566352753706.jpg

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

4 hours ago, Lphunsjr said:

This dock in Lavalette produces

Screenshot_20200724-140334_Maps.jpg

Thanks I might give that a try next week during the week

HONOR THE FALLEN
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

10 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Chicken is probably your best bet for lasting the longest.  If you're on the beach take a light rod and target some kingfish.  Kingfish rigs, 1" piece of fishbites, 1oz bank sinker.  Crawl it along bottom until you find the kingfish. Eat the kingfish.  Save the heads for crab bait.  

Thanks everyone with the recommendations I have a couple places to try now. I did ask wife about topless fluking but she said NOOOOOOOOO :uzi:

HONOR THE FALLEN