Hope everyone is having a nice summer. I am looking for a small boat I can use during duck season. Right now I hunt out of a canoe but would love to have a little more reach and be able to get a little deeper a little faster. I hunt solo most of the time but may have others I hunt with, so something that can be manageable when I am alone, but can hold two people+gear. If anyone either knows of something for sale used or has suggestions on how to find one or rig one up, I would greatly appreciate it. Not looking to break the bank here either, so something on the cheaper side.

Also side question- anyone know where I can buy black duck decoys for cheap? Or can I just use mallard hens?

Edited by trettrot23

Where are you located? Are you looking Jon boat or sneak box? If you are trying to save money- buy beat up mallards and a can of spray paint. 

dependa where you are if mallards would work in black ducks. By me- not a chance. Are you hinting open water or tight area? 

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye57 said:

Where are you located? Are you looking Jon boat or sneak box? If you are trying to save money- buy beat up mallards and a can of spray paint. 

dependa where you are if mallards would work in black ducks. By me- not a chance. Are you hinting open water or tight area? 

I am based out of North Jersey but hunt mostly coastal and some south. Don't mess with open water much, so mainly tight areas. Haven't decided between jon vs sneak but it sounds like sneaks may be safer.

I'm a sneak box guy, but if your looking at the boat as transportation to a spot and not to hunt from then maybe go aluminum.  Sneakboxes also don't make good family fishing/crabbing boats.  Stuff will show up on marketplace, craigs list etc.  My suggestion is to think it all through so you don't waste money.  If you're handy and can repair fiberglass or wood boats then you might get something on the cheap.  

39 minutes ago, Pucknut said:

I'm a sneak box guy, but if your looking at the boat as transportation to a spot and not to hunt from then maybe go aluminum.  Sneakboxes also don't make good family fishing/crabbing boats.  Stuff will show up on marketplace, craigs list etc.  My suggestion is to think it all through so you don't waste money.  If you're handy and can repair fiberglass or wood boats then you might get something on the cheap.  

What he said.

• 5 weeks later...

Have an Arthur Armstrong Broadbill, 14 feet long.  Use to hunt the Upper Chesapeake Bay with it.  Amazing boat, bobs like a cork on big water.  I would suggest it needs the transom rebuilt as the Chaulk has deteriorated but it is a pretty simple fix.  Rest of boat is solid. and includes cover. It is for sale in NC as I have moved. I have a 25 hp Evinrude too  if interested but willing to just sell boat or combo.  Own a classic.

image4.jpeg

IMG_7446.JPG

image3.jpeg

image2.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DFN said:

Hey any of you guys know spots where you can hunt with just waders, like flooded timber or swamp?  I used to do that a lot in when I lived in Louisiana and haven’t secured a boat or dog yet.

Unfortunately in jersey guys won’t give up spots. Loose lips sink ships. I don’t tell anyone my waterfowl spots and only way I find better is searching and exploring. 

1 hour ago, BackwoodsBoy said:

Unfortunately in jersey guys won’t give up spots. Loose lips sink ships. I don’t tell anyone my waterfowl spots and only way I find better is searching and exploring. 

Thanks fellas, I totally understand.  If anyone wants to point me into the right direction or give me any assistance/advice, I’ll take it.  Thanks Again!!!!