IGNORED

Old school smoking

Anybody on here still smoke meat the old school way without augers and pellets? I usually smoke 2-3 times a month in my old barrel smoker. It’s about 20 years old but gets the job done. I do have to tend it once an hour to feed it but it produces a ton of smoke and flavor. Tomorrow I’m doing baby back ribs and a shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yup, i do

KIMG1542.thumb.JPG.3baf9c001c9d2945a9686742c450ff5b.JPGKIMG1372.thumb.JPG.1c52e26021500ba12a00793ad42805d9.JPG

normally only use cherry that i split. i like these smokers, yes you have to watch it. thats part of the fun IMO. and if you wanna BBQ you can do that also with flames hitting your food etc... i have done lamb, ribs, steaks, burgers, meatloafs, fish, peppers, brats, london broils, roasts, pork loins, the list goes on. 

i do want to buy a better quality smoker like this. the one i have now is a home depot special. its works perfectly fine, but when you enjoy doing something, you want the best. 

2 hours ago, tjfslaughter said:

4723d6b0caf865cf2e19ab32e1788f00.jpg
20 year old beater smoker... cleaned up a little

i restored a smoker like this one year. i have a shot peener at work. brings anything down to bare metal. even removes chrome. then re seasoned the smoker. it was a fun project. i even made $100 on it because i sold it. i would still love a top quality smoker/grill. for now the one i have pictured above works great. i open that grill and the smell is amazing. im smoking ribs tomorrow, over cherry wood of course. 

i restored a smoker like this one year. i have a shot peener at work. brings anything down to bare metal. even removes chrome. then re seasoned the smoker. it was a fun project. i even made $100 on it because i sold it. i would still love a top quality smoker/grill. for now the one i have pictured above works great. i open that grill and the smell is amazing. im smoking ribs tomorrow, over cherry wood of course. 

Yeah is is a New Braunsfels made from probably 10 gauge steel. It should last a little while. I have an in on some of the automated ones at 1/2 price but can’t bring myself to buying one yet.

Love the taste of wood/charcoal cooked food has, to me theres no comparison! I have a 18 inch weber smokey mountain smoker along with a 14 inch smokey Joe and a 22 inch weber kettle.  Each one has its place on the deck for different applications. I use a weed burner to get the coals rolling in the time it takes to heat up a cast iron pan!

I do have a cheater for my wsm, its called the bbq guru and it uses a little blower and temp monitor to keep the smoker at whatever temp I want. It takes a little time to setup so I usually only use that on the longer smokes because the wsm is awesome and easy at maintaining a constant temp manually. It has the ability to do low n slow, use it as a smokey oven or get it cranking 400-500 degrees to do hot n fast when looking for a sear. 

18 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Thats the way to do it but I can't. Watching this thing go all day and maybe even night and day would for sure make my liver quit.

I don’t watch it :-)

During the summer and using big logs I have no trouble keeping in the true Q zone.

A glance every so often at the temp gauge which I have already calibrated is all I need to do.

Watching it would be as exciting as watching paint dry.

35 minutes ago, madeinuk said:

During the summer and using big logs I have no trouble keeping in the true Q zone.

A glance every so often at the temp gauge which I have already calibrated is all I need to do.

agree. once you get a small bed of coals and drop a nice size log on top and shut the vents. it just smolders. i then use the chimney vent to determind temp. there is a little babysitting but not like what most guys think. learning curve, yes. but well worth it to me. last thanksgiving i smoked a whole turkey. came out awesome and only  checked on it maybe 5 times. about once every 2 hours. checking it consits of opening the fire box and either putting a log in or doing nothing. i was really thinking pellet grill a month ago just to see. but im stickin with my smoker. tonight im not evem using the fire box, im just grilling burgers like a normal grill over charcoal. i have that option. 

57 minutes ago, madeinuk said:

Can you put a pork shoulder in the smoker this way at 3 am and go to sleep? I do and don’t have to deal with any of it until it’s done 3pm the next day. There are advantages