IGNORED

Dressed Weight to Meat Yield Chart

archer36

Thanks for this! Some numbers to shoot for as a goal. I just purchased a digital weight scale a couple months ago to attach to my new ratchet deer hoist system I put in the garage. I did this for the purpose of tracking the dressed weight of the deer so I can compare that with how much meat I'm able to get. This chart is perfect and just what I needed - I can figure out how close (or far) I am from professional butcher numbers.

Question - when it says "dressed weight" - does that include the hide? When I hear the word "dressed" I think of field dressed (internals eviscerated, but the hide still on - what it looks like when you drag it out of the field). But I wonder if this chart uses the word "dressed" to mean a field dressed and skinned deer, just not deboned?

mazzgolf,  · 

This is from the Butcher. Says "field dressed" but nothing about hide.   · 

D&R Processing

Edible Boneless Meat On A Deer

Based on the averages we have attained following our Quality Deer Processing (QDP) standards that’s on our video, we developed the chart pictured here.

Every deer we receive is weighed. Based on this field dressed weight we know that we will get 55% of that weight in total boneless meat after discarding excess fat.

Out of this total weight we know that approximately 30% will be steaks and roasts and 70% will be for ground meat.

We use these percentages based on the fact that most of our customers use the Tenderloins, Back Straps (Loins) and Rounds for steak or roasts. The rest of the meat including from the neck and front shoulders is used for grinding.

Note: The QDP video shows how to make all the available cuts on the deer including from the neck and front shoulders. If you use the neck and shoulders for steak and roasts the yield will be closer to 60% Grinds and 40% Steaks and Roasts

Edited by archer36

8 minutes ago, archer36 said:

This is from the Butcher. Says "field dressed" but nothing about hide.   · 

Got it. OK, they probably mean with the hide on then. They say they measure every animal "they receive" - which I assume means when it's dropped off they weigh it before they do anything to it. And, as you say, they mention "based on this field dressed weight" it's 55% of that. So I'm pretty sure they use with-hide-on as the weight in that left column of the chart.

Every deer we receive is weighed. Based on this field dressed weight we know that we will get 55% of that weight in total boneless meat after discarding excess fat.

9 minutes ago, Woodsman416 said:

They do their deer the same way I do mine, except I bone out the neck. They claim to get 20% more meat though. Either their deer have more meat on them or their "dressed" weight means gutted and skinned.

D&R deer.jpg

butcher.jpg

That's as good as it gets!

It definitely means gutted but does not mention skinned. 

Edited by archer36

Been doing 95% of my own for over 40 years .

very little waste , and I get no where near that poundage  of ground meat .

some of the difference is I trim more stew meat from prime areas .

im thinking they are also showing hide off weights .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

59 minutes ago, Woodsman416 said:

They do their deer the same way I do mine, except I bone out the neck. They claim to get 20% more meat though. Either their deer have more meat on them or their "dressed" weight means gutted and skinned.

D&R deer.jpg

butcher.jpg

Nice job! The word Piranha comes to mind looking at process. LOL

51 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I like how the rear legs remain the gambrel... Does that make it easier to butcher the hindquarters?

It might be hard to picture but I cut in just above the knee (below as it's hanging) to the bone, turn my knife and run along the bone to the hip and then cut down and out. This removes the sirloin in one cut. Then I cut down from above the knee along the seam where the shank connects to the bottom round, to the back of the same bone. With my knife tip I bone out the leg all the way to the H-bone and down to where it connects to the spine. I'll now have all the meat off the upper leg of the deer in two pieces. It takes much less time to do it than it does to type it. At this point all I have left on the rear leg is the shank meat. I cut in about an inch below the tendon and bone out the lower leg. I leave enough connective tissue from the tendon to the leg bone to support the weight of the carcus. The leg folds up like that when you make the tendon cut. If you cut all the way into the tissue it will fall off the gambrel. The rear legs are the last thing I bone out so most of the weight is already gone. 

Edited by Woodsman416

That post is an estimate that assumes the gunner did a good job cutting and did not foul up a lot of meat, also BAD shot placement ruins meat also causing significant waste sometimes.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

15 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

Been doing 95% of my own for over 40 years .

very little waste , and I get no where near that poundage  of ground meat .

some of the difference is I trim more stew meat from prime areas .

im thinking they are also showing hide off weights .

Well the hide on/off question has been asked several times. I will see if I can get an answer from him. 

42 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Well the hide on/off question has been asked several times. I will see if I can get an answer from him. 

I messaged D&R and he said the 55% meat yield includes the hide in the hanging weight. He stands by the number claiming he has many years of experience and spends up to 3 hours just deboning.