MRMCR

Chipmunk Population Explosion

Seems like an inordinate amount of chipmunks in my yard this year.........anyone else noticing this ?? and they are becoming quite brazen getting really close to us..........no garden damage so they can stay for now...........

• Agree 4

Same here! Maybe not an explosion but a noticeable increase. 

• Like 1

Daughter has problem with them digging up everything in her yard.  Do something to control them before they get to be too many.  I have a couple right now.  Only had a couple for  many years.  If it gets worse they are going to get live trapped and taken for a ride.  Squirrels are doing more damage, but the more I get rid of them the more I get back.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MRMCR said:

Seems like an inordinate amount of chipmunks in my yard this year.........anyone else noticing this ?? and they are becoming quite brazen getting really close to us..........no garden damage so they can stay for now...........

Absolutely!!

Setter and beagle are on daily patrols.....some patrols have resulted in gutters being ripped off the house......and holes dug up in yard.  I've also found a few stolen half eaten strawberries. 

Neighborhood is experiencing the same dilemma. 

I heard glue traps baited w a trail mix nut cluster can work. 

Old wives tale states when the wildlife takes over the suburbs....the end us near....recently saw the first rabbit in 17 yrs in our neighborhood....2020 cud be it!!

ALVIN!!!!

images (3).jpeg

• Like 1

It’s been an explosion in my yard been  10-12 years since I’ve had this many around

• Like 1

I see a decrease in population when they are in my yard :scoped:  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Seeing lots of them in my yard too.  My dog loves chasing them and is successful sometimes so don’t see the population getting too out of control anytime soon.  

• Like 1

I have a bunch too. They're driving my dogs nuts. My neighbor thinks it's my fault.  But we all have them. 

• Like 1

When my female rat terrier was alive she was after them all the time........the male is here but he is 17 has cataracts and he is just enjoying his retirement.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

T Rex rat traps. 

You're welcome. Lol 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

My neighbor has been trying to help them learn to swim.  Apparently, none have passed the test yet.....

• Haha 3

Me, too. 

I just quickly looked online … lots of people saying the same. State biologists in New Hampshire and Vermont said probably because of a great mast crop last summer and a mild winter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

totally agree !!! had one dig under my pavers and make 5 of them pop out.   Its time for me to start gettting rid of some !!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, megavites said:

same here. I wonder why the increase?

More people staying home planting/gardening.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1