IGNORED

Average Hourly Rate For NJ Attorneys ?

Jim_

18 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

It's not hard until you get there and get a B***ch for a surrogate who won't accept the will for one reason or another, than doesn't want to take the time to explain anything on how to fix it.  Take it to court as if there is no will, get a lawyer, sign something that we didn't understand what she meant, or find one of the witnesses.  Law office that made the will no longer existed, one witness already passed the other illegible.  Got lucky the lawyer found the person, who had worked for the law firm, and was in Florida.  I think without the lawyer, the surrogate would have given us a hard time without having the witness present.  Not going through that aggravation was worth the money.

I'm assuming that you are talking about Florida?  NJ and Florida are two different world.  In Florida smart people don't get wills they get trusts.  It's a nightmare to probate a will In Florida, simple in NJ

Edited by nickmarch

Thanks, guys. I know it is a difficult question to answer. I'm just kinda bent out of shape from the whole situation. The Executor of the Will has turned out to be rotten jerkoff … causing hassles and the wasting of money. 

The Union County Surrogate has a video in which he quotes Benjamin Franklin … "Never say you know someone, until you share an inheritance with them."  Believe me, its true. lol.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye57 said:

Where are you located? 

The situation is in Union County.

1 hour ago, MRMCR said:

...remember you also get what you pay for......…

Yup. I found a lawyer in the area that specializes in such situations … I get the feeling he will be on the high side of cost. Find out soon.

And hey if you need to sell the contents to settle the estate you know who to call..........NJ's #1 Estate Sale company......Estatesalesbyolga.com......

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

1 hour ago, nickmarch said:

About $150 To $200 but why don't you just do it yourself?  It's easy! 

Go to the surrogates  off, get the application, fill it in,  file the application at the Surrogate’s office.  Bring the original will and a death certificate.

Any lawyer that would charge $150 an hour- ya do it yourself bc you prob have same chances lol

10 minutes ago, Hawkeye57 said:

Any lawyer that would charge $150 an hour- ya do it yourself bc you prob have same chances lol

$150 an hour is to much.  What's that word lunatic likes?  It means idiot?  Did you look at the probate form?  Even an idiot could fill in that form.  That's how simple it is to probate a will In NJ.  

I see now that the OP needs a lawyer to dispute not to just probate. Thats a different issue.

12 minutes ago, nickmarch said:

$150 an hour is to much.  What's that word lunatic likes?  It means idiot?  Did you look at the probate form?  Even an idiot could fill in that form.  That's how simple it is to probate a will In NJ.  

I see now that the OP needs a lawyer to dispute not to just probate. Thats a different issue.

Exactly. Stay on topic. No one is discussing a probate form. 

not arguing with you. 

OP needs a real lawyer. Not $150 an hour stayed at a holiday in lawyer. 

to the OP- union county work- make life easy, get a politically connected firm or someone with county connections 

3 hours ago, MRMCR said:

Remember everytime you call to ask a question the clock is ticking..........any pleasantries in the office, the clock is ticking.........ask for an accounting , they may charge you for envelopes , postage etc etc...........get an approximation of costs.........remember you also get what you pay for.........

I recall another more enjoyable profession with similar guidelines say for the postage and envelopes!!!!

What they quote you is about 1/3 of what you will pay .

you will be paying fees for him , fees for his secretary, fees for his paralegal, fees for paper , postage etc ..

he makes 5 phone calls in five minutes you still get charged for an hour.

LEGAL  license to steal is what it says in fine print  On the bottom of their License 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

3 hours ago, nickmarch said:

I'm assuming that you are talking about Florida?  NJ and Florida are two different world.  In Florida smart people don't get wills they get trusts.  It's a nightmare to probate a will In Florida, simple in NJ

Will was here, Morris Co, witness had moved to Florida.  No problem getting one probated in Florida when my mother in law passed during the pandemic.  Took 10 minutes.

Exactly. Stay on topic. No one is discussing a probate form. 

not arguing with you. 

OP needs a real lawyer. Not $150 an hour stayed at a holiday in lawyer. 

to the OP- union county work- make life easy, get a politically connected firm or someone with county connections 

Very good point. A Politically connected lawyer can get just about anything done they want. Might cost $500/ hour though. No lawyer worth a shit charges only $150 an hour. The going rate is way higher for a “good attorney “ unless it’s a favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought that you were filing a probate but it's still just a probate matter and simple for a Judge to resolve.  If the executor isn't doing as instructed in the will the judge will get rid of him or her and appoint someone.  

Something being contested wont be handled by the surrogat court it would go to the Superior Court, Chancery Division, Probate Part.  Its doubtful that it would be dealt with promptly due to covid.  The court is surely backed up if they are even hearing cases.

As far as hiring someone politically connected that works both ways!  

Screenshot_20200707-203613.jpg

Screenshot_20200707-203736.jpg

Screenshot_20200707-203751~2.jpg

Edited by nickmarch