IGNORED

Average Hourly Rate For NJ Attorneys ?

Jim_

Is there an average hourly rate … a range? I realize that years of experience, and even office location, will factor in. Just looking for any generalizations/experiences folks may have.

Unfortunately, I may need to get involved in a sticky probate situation, and was told it would probably be billed hourly, not a percentage of the estate. Other than buying a house, I've never hired a lawyer.

Thanks.

If I remember right, 200-300 range.  We hired one a few years ago because the surrogate wouldn't accept the outdated will.  A couple trips to the county court house, a search done to find one of the witnesses, and getting the necessary paper work done came out to around 1500-1800.  Don't remember exactly because they also did the closing on the house.

Edited by Greybeard

Remember everytime you call to ask a question the clock is ticking..........any pleasantries in the office, the clock is ticking.........ask for an accounting , they may charge you for envelopes , postage etc etc...........get an approximation of costs.........remember you also get what you pay for.........

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

they will bill you for every minute and most have a minimum time, so if you spend 2 minutes on the phone you will be billed for 20 or 30 or 50% of an hour depending on their minimum, having gone through a divorce I'm too familiar with their billing practices.  

About $150 To $200 but why don't you just do it yourself?  It's easy! 

Go to the surrogates  off, get the application, fill it in,  file the application at the Surrogate’s office.  Bring the original will and a death certificate.

8 minutes ago, nickmarch said:

About $150 To $200 but why don't you just do it yourself?  It's easy! 

Go to the surrogates  off, get the application, fill it in,  file the application at the Surrogate’s office.  Bring the original will and a death certificate.

It's not hard until you get there and get a B***ch for a surrogate who won't accept the will for one reason or another, than doesn't want to take the time to explain anything on how to fix it.  Take it to court as if there is no will, get a lawyer, sign something that we didn't understand what she meant, or find one of the witnesses.  Law office that made the will no longer existed, one witness already passed the other illegible.  Got lucky the lawyer found the person, who had worked for the law firm, and was in Florida.  I think without the lawyer, the surrogate would have given us a hard time without having the witness present.  Not going through that aggravation was worth the money.