3 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

The mentioned B80 I’d stay awY from. It was made only 2 years I believe and could be problematic. A t

3 hours ago, vdep217 said:

I already own a b80 got it cheap a few years ago and the 1300.  The b 80 only likes hi brass

Pretty sure the B-80 was made for something closer to 10 years. It was built by Beretta for Browning. IIRC, the parts were machined in Italy, but assembled in Portugal. It is basically a Beretta 302 with a squared off receiver. Really good guns.

But, there were changes to the size of the barrel's gas ports over time. It was a European thing. If you have a B-80 … not a B-80 Plus … and it has a 3" chamber, yes it won't cycle light loads. That's why I had both a light and magnum barrel for my early model B-80.

I know of a knowledgeable gun guy that simply opened up those two gas ports on the barrel a bit with a drill, and was able to shoot all light loads out of it.

58 minutes ago, Jim_ said:

Pretty sure the B-80 was made for something closer to 10 years. It was built by Beretta for Browning. IIRC, the parts were machined in Italy, but assembled in Portugal. It is basically a Beretta 302 with a squared off receiver. Really good guns.

But, there were changes to the size of the barrel's gas ports over time. It was a European thing. If you have a B-80 … not a B-80 Plus … and it has a 3" chamber, yes it won't cycle light loads. That's why I had both a light and magnum barrel for my early model B-80.

I know of a knowledgeable gun guy that simply opened up those two gas ports on the barrel a bit with a drill, and was able to shoot all light loads out of it.

81-88. It’s longer than I remember but as stated in general the gun had some issues. Not saying all did. 

36 minutes ago, MikeStaten said:

I’d sell off the redundant guns and get something you really like, regardless of cost.  Cheaper in the long run and you’ll really appreciate having a few really good quality guns instead of a bunch of guns.  

Now if I could only follow my own advice.   

Honestly I'm rough on guns as I said I use them.  My mossberg looks like hell but still goes bang.  I like the stoegers but would like a lighter gun,  but for duck hunting weight ain't no biggy

The funny thing is alot of times people with a bunch of guns find some staying in the safe.  Mine all get used and have their purpose and days

Edited by vdep217

I use mine too and don’t baby them. Even a few thousand dollar shotgun isn’t worried about. What exactly can you do to it unless you’re prying your truck up to fix a flat right? The only thing possibly that could commonly go wrong is damage to the wood. If that happens take the stock off and refinish it. Another cool summer project.

I have friends the same way though. They just don’t wanna spend money on guns. They hunt NY with slug guns (God forbid!!) Dont own .22s, one or two do it all shotguns of no high dollar amount. They don’t want a safe full so whatever you decide is your choice. To each his own. Some guys view guns only as a means to an end. Me if I had enough I could swim through them to the truck in the morning I’d still want more. I have 7 dedicated turkey guns alone. Nothing cooler than a gun quality made with good fit and finish if you ask me but this is your gun and your choice

11 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Honestly I'm rough on guns as I said I use them.  My mossberg looks like hell but still goes bang.  I like the stoegers but would like a lighter gun,  but for duck hunting weight ain't no biggy

The funny thing is alot of times people with a bunch of guns find some staying in the safe.  Mine all get used and have their purpose and days

I hear you about being rough on guns my dad and I use our guns in the field and they get their nicks and scratches. 

I gave my dad a Stevens 555E O/U for Father's Day and one of the first things he said was "I'm gonna have to be more careful with this one"

At what point is it just showing off spending big money on a shotgun

50 minutes ago, mightyhunter said:

That’s a very valid point. I’m in no way an expert but as someone who has a wide range of guns as in price and quality- personally, there is a BIG difference between $500 gun and $1000 gun. Slightly better between $1000 and $2000. After $2,500- unless it is custom, I never saw a big difference. 

my franchi and ceaser have quality differences but not at the cost. 

now custom guns- way different story for a whole other thread lol

6 hours ago, Hawkeye57 said:

That’s a very valid point. I’m in no way an expert but as someone who has a wide range of guns as in price and quality- personally, there is a BIG difference between $500 gun and $1000 gun. Slightly better between $1000 and $2000. After $2,500- unless it is custom, I never saw a big difference. 

my franchi and ceaser have quality differences but not at the cost. 

now custom guns- way different story for a whole other thread lol

Oh I have no doubt that they are of better quality, but my 870 breaks clays and knocks down pheasants the same as those guns LOL

1 hour ago, mightyhunter said:

Oh I have no doubt that they are of better quality, but my 870 breaks clays and knocks down pheasants the same as those guns LOL

As I said previously, I hunted with a humpback that I bought brand new back in 1973or 4.  It now has all manner of dings on it, but I don't care.   I bought a Citori many years later and hunted a bunch with it also.  It also has its share of dings and scratches.  Either gun...if I had to lay it down in the field to go to a dog...the gun got laid down, dirt,  wet, snow,  whatever.   That is what it was made for.  Check the barrels and continue on.  

I am reminded of a friend's reaction.  We were on a deer hunt in Anticosti  and it was raining sideways.  He took out his custom Browning A bolt that was absolutely gorgeous and pristine.    I commented that it might not be the best weather for such a nice gun.  He said that if the gun couldn't stand up to the weather..it wasn't much of a gun.   A dry rag and some good gun oil  at the end of the day should be all that is needed if the gun is made right.  He killed his deer with that gun, that day.

They all go boom, they all kill what is aimed at, if the shooter does their part.  Shoot what you are comfortable with.  My son learned on a Winchester 1300.   He now shoots a Beretta O/U.  

RayG

12 hours ago, mightyhunter said:

I think that is kinda up to the individual hunter/gunner and their personal financial situation, as well as what they intend to do with it.   If having a nicely made, sweet handling beautifully stocked and engraved fowling piece makes you happy... who is to say it is too much?

Kinda like cars/trucks.   Nobody really NEEDS  a 2 seater sportscar that can go from 0 to 60 in 2.2 sec...but some folks just gotta have it.  Nobody really NEEDS a Cadillac Escalade or Lincoln Navigator or Range Rover with all the bells and whistles...but some folks just gotta have one.   God Bless. 

RayG

7 hours ago, birddogger said:

I think that is kinda up to the individual hunter/gunner and their personal financial situation, as well as what they intend to do with it.   If having a nicely made, sweet handling beautifully stocked and engraved fowling piece makes you happy... who is to say it is too much?

Kinda like cars/trucks.   Nobody really NEEDS  a 2 seater sportscar that can go from 0 to 60 in 2.2 sec...but some folks just gotta have it.  Nobody really NEEDS a Cadillac Escalade or Lincoln Navigator or Range Rover with all the bells and whistles...but some folks just gotta have one.   God Bless. 

RayG

Little bit of a difference though cause imo we all need double guns and all need 28s! 

Using you analogy you’re correct. As I said earlier guns are a means to an end. Regarding cars some real cheap beater would get us to work, consider  they last about 4-5 years. A woman we marry could be kinda rough too but we super sweat that and look for great fit n finish per se even if mentally they’ve got major faults. They prob avg under 10. 
Most guns hang on much longer, especially good ones. Cheaper than the first examples as well.  Seems the wisest place to invest money is firearms. 
Not really trying to convince anyone, just playing along. We can all use what we like.