New gun decision

Itching for a new gun.  Do I upgrade one of my 12s.  Currently have an 1187 s mossberg 500 a stoeger 2000 a stoeger p350 and stoeger 3500 and sears n roebuck auto.

Upgrade a 20 guage winchester 1300 and browning b80.

Or get a dedicated upland gun.  Was looking at the tristar 28 guage

5 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Itching for a new gun.  Do I upgrade one of my 12s.  Currently have an 1187 s mossberg 500 a stoeger 2000 a stoeger p350 and stoeger 3500 and sears n roebuck auto.

Upgrade a 20 guage winchester 1300 and browning b80.

Or get a dedicated upland gun.  Was looking at the tristar 28 guage

I had a blast shooting tristar 28. Don’t own one but hunted with it. Would you go 28 for dedicated upland? What type of upland do you usually hunt? Bird/type of land 

A 28 will knock pen raised pheasants all day. Like you, I use 20 gauge most the time in jersey. I got the 28 cz bobwhite and have enjoyed shooting it in the field. Swings better than a few side by sides that cost triple the price. I have t put it through seasons of testing to give honest opinion but for under $1,000 for a side by side- it’s amazing.

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye57 said:

A 28 will knock pen raised pheasants all day. Like you, I use 20 gauge most the time in jersey. I got the 28 cz bobwhite and have enjoyed shooting it in the field. Swings better than a few side by sides that cost triple the price. I have t put it through seasons of testing to give honest opinion but for under $1,000 for a side by side- it’s amazing.

I have tried a few side by sides.  I know it's in my head but I just dont like them same with over and unders I just dont like them.  I was looking at the tri star viper auto.. the cz 628 looks nice as well for a pump

Edited by vdep217

I shot a browning humpback for many,many years, first in 12 ga, then in 20 ga.    I tried a Citori O/U  in 20 ga. and I LOVED the way it threw up, the way it carried and the balance between my hands.  I haven't shot an autoloader since.  

FWIW I am a mediocre shot at best, but I flat out suck when using a SXS.  I have tried several and I can't hit squat with them.  Yes it is me, but it is what it is.  

Some years back I bought a CZ O/U in 28 ga. for my grandson, as his first birthday present.  It carries, handles and swings even nicer than my Citori.  

I shoot birds over pointing dogs and that little 28 kills 'em dead when I do my part at those ranges.   My grandson will be 10 on his next birhday, so I won't be shooting it much longer.  

Stocked pheasant with 6's or 7 1/2's, chuckar with 7 1/2's and quail with 8's or 9's and they hit the ground dead pretty much every time if I am on target.

I also think CZ is a lot of gun for the money.  Their O/U in 28 ga. is pretty sweet.  

I might just have to get one of my own.

RayG

a dedicated small game gun, without question would get a quality italian, belgium, or spanish made O/U with various choke tubes. 20 or 28 ga. That being said, my old Remington LT 20 1100 still is a joy to carry and shoot.... But those O/U's are something special. 

Edited by JHbowhunter

I was also itching for a new gun back in January …. been so long since I bought one. Didn't just want another auto or pump in the safe. Have a Browning Upland Special (straight stock) Citori already, too. So, I went old school with an old, recoil-operated auto … Belgium Auto5, from 1954. Something different. Looking forward to WMA pheasants this fall.

(I used to own a Browning B-80, too. At that time, there were "light" load barrels and "magnum" or "heavy" barrels for it. Nice Beretta shotgun.)

I guess we can make any gun our dedicated upland gun, if we want.

Good luck.

11111.png

It looks like you have a good variety already. But as we all know, you can't have too many guns, crossbows, or fishing equipment right.  Buying a gun for the hell of it is OK. If you are looking to add something that will make a difference, I don't see it. People will buy a 28 ga even if they own a 20 ga. People will buy a 6.5 even if they already own a .308. There is nothing magical about certain gauges and calibers. If you look closely, the differences don't amount to much except numbers on paper.

So the only advice I have is think about the reason you want the gun. If it's just to add to your collection than adding a new one is OK. If it's to gain some advantage then I think you won't beat what you have. 

18 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

a dedicated small game gun, without question would get a quality italian, belgium, or spanish made O/U with various choke tubes. 20 or 28 ga. That being said, my old Remington LT 20 1100 still is a joy to carry and shoot.... But those O/U's are something special. 

My personal favorite is my Browning BSS 20 ga, 26" barrels, I/C and Mod fixed chokes, Oil finish, straight grip. I bought it new for $300 bucks and now they are selling for 3-4 times that much. 

2 minutes ago, archer36 said:

My personal favorite is my Browning BSS 20 ga, 26" barrels, I/C and Mod fixed chokes, Oil finish, straight grip. I bought it new for $300 bucks and now they are selling for 3-4 times that much. 

Forgot about the Browning O/U - yes yes yes