IGNORED

driveway monitor?

chuck172

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

That's the best idea? Who cares what happens 800' from your house. Watch what is happening close to your house.

I think so. It’s a driveway monitor letS you know if somebody’s coming up your driveway. If you put it further than its maximum range it won’t work.

problem with the metal detector type is  most burglars/ thieves are not going to pull in your driveway they will walk into your yard .the guard line one allows you to hook up multiple detectors (16?) and each one can have a different sound so you know the area that was tripped. been being reported last 6 moths or more the ring can be hacked and the  Alexa devices have been hacked ..

Edited by buckhound

That's the best idea? Who cares what happens 800' from your house. Watch what is happening close to your house.

My driveway is 1/2 mile. I’d love my driveway alarm to have that kind of range. Mine has about 150ft range. Basically it says someone is here as opposed to someone is coming. That’s why people care about range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Farmshine said:

My driveway is 1/2 mile. I’d love my driveway alarm to have that kind of range. Mine has about 150ft range. Basically it says someone is here as opposed to someone is coming. That’s why people care about range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever makes you feel safe 

18 hours ago, Lunatic said:

20 hours ago, chuck172 said:

what kind of range does the ring have?

Not much. 

You need a good wifi signal. They do sell chime/wifi extenders. 

They are good for the immediate area around your house. 

The door bells work good. 

Ive installed quite a few of them for our residential customers. 

If you have a big area or long driveways to monitor,  its gets more involved than Ring products. 

There are a few wireless solutions out there for motion detection, one manufacturer that we used is optex, that seemed to get pretty good range. I believe they adverise 1000 ft. 

Any of the wireless stuff weve used we have found all of the ranges to be exaggerated. 

When they say 1000 ft range that would be the best scenario. 

Throw in a hill, a few trees , some metal studs and duct work in your house and your range could be easily cut in half. 

A wired option would be by a company named Cartell. 

That would require a probe being buried next to the driveway. 

Ive used this to detect vehicles for annunciation as well as open automatic gates. 

If you have deer, the wireless motions will pick them up, the wired probe buried in the ground is much more reliable, although more expensive and more labor intensive to install. 

I am able to sell ring products as well as the optex and Cartell products. 

The object with good security is detecting events sooner than later. 

Id much rather pick someone up 800 feet away than have a surprise encounter 20 feet from the house or on your door step. 

The best deterrent to keep unwanted vehicles off of a 800 ft driveway is a gate. 

My driveway is probably 1300 to 1500 ft long. I have a gate that requires a code to open with  cameras. 

The furthest a vehicle can get on my property is 20 ft from the road. 

The best security systems are layered meaning multiple detecion points or areas. 

You could use the probe then back it up with the wireless sensor a little closer to the house in case someone comes in on foot instead of vehicle. 

If you get past the first layer, you have several others to get past before you get in. 

The market is flooded with all kinds of security products aimed at the residential homeowner for self installation. 

Most people base their home security on how cheap they can get it. 

I cant tell you how many million + $ homes Ive been in and seen a $100 security system protecting it. 

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com