IGNORED

West Branch of the Delaware success.

Njpddet

That is on my bucket list to get up there.

You have to do it. If you need any info, just let me know. In my retirement, I’m trying to get up there as often as possible. I’m having a surgery next week so this was my last hurrah for a while. The fishing is a completely different animal than around here. I have a lot to learn but the journey is a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Njpddet said:

A cdc comparadun sulphur size #18 or #20

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dry fly or die!  Nice fish.  My favorite river.  That river will make you a better angler and make fishing the world far easier wherever you go.  Learn to fool those big, wild browns on a dry fly and I can promise you every other river you ever fish will seem easier.

11 hours ago, Jerzguy2 said:

That is on my bucket list to get up there.

I have no idea where you are as an angler, but I always tell newbies to the Upper D, make sure you crush stockies in NJ on dry flies before you go up there and get humbled.  If you're still learning the ropes on stocked trout locally, wait until you've got that down pat before heading up.  Otherwise constant skunkings will turn off most angler anglers and they never go again.  

The other key if you don't want to wait for that threshold is to hire a great guide.  The Upper D has so many guides, but only a handful that can put clients on fish every day and help them catch those fish, experienced or not.  Happy to help you there if you ever reach out.  

Dry fly or die!  Nice fish.  My favorite river.  That river will make you a better angler and make fishing the world far easier wherever you go.  Learn to fool those big, wild browns on a dry fly and I can promise you every other river you ever fish will seem easier.

That is very sound advice! I’m learning slowly but surely but even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

1 minute ago, Njpddet said:

That is very sound advice! I’m learning slowly but surely but even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.

The "reach mend" is 100% critical to dry fly success on that river (and East and main).  When done correctly, it gives you an added 6'-12' of drag free drift over the fish.  It's just flopping your rod upstream at the end of your cast and then pointing the rod tip at the fly as it drifts drag free over your riser.  That and getting a steep, upstream angle on the fish.  So many anglers fish facing the opposite bank and tossing their dries at a 90 degree angle to the bank.  The problem is currents will be faster between you and the fish, causing a big belly in your fly line which then accelerates your fly on the surface causing drag.  And fish won't eat a fly with drag on it 99.9% of the time.  Get further upstream and cast down towards that fish and you will have so much less drag that you may at times not even need to mend.

I could go on and on about dry fly fishing.  :)    

8 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

I have no idea where you are as an angler, but I always tell newbies to the Upper D, make sure you crush stockies in NJ on dry flies before you go up there and get humbled.  If you're still learning the ropes on stocked trout locally, wait until you've got that down pat before heading up.  Otherwise constant skunkings will turn off most angler anglers and they never go again.  

The other key if you don't want to wait for that threshold is to hire a great guide.  The Upper D has so many guides, but only a handful that can put clients on fish every day and help them catch those fish, experienced or not.  Happy to help you there if you ever reach out.  

Brian,   Thanks for the advice, warning, and offer of guidance. Have not fish that much for the last few years, even though I've been a member of private waters close to home. Still learning every day when I get out.  I started fly fishing when information and specific tackle wasn't as readily available as it is today. BTW, my lady works for F&W in Lebanon and we have met when you were a guest speaker at our club banquet.   Thanks, Jack

45 minutes ago, Jerzguy2 said:

Brian,   Thanks for the advice, warning, and offer of guidance. Have not fish that much for the last few years, even though I've been a member of private waters close to home. Still learning every day when I get out.  I started fly fishing when information and specific tackle wasn't as readily available as it is today. BTW, my lady works for F&W in Lebanon and we have met when you were a guest speaker at our club banquet.   Thanks, Jack

I know who you are now.  :)  Never put that together until you mentioned it.  

The "reach mend" is 100% critical to dry fly success on that river (and East and main).  When done correctly, it gives you an added 6'-12' of drag free drift over the fish.  It's just flopping your rod upstream at the end of your cast and then pointing the rod tip at the fly as it drifts drag free over your riser.  That and getting a steep, upstream angle on the fish.  So many anglers fish facing the opposite bank and tossing their dries at a 90 degree angle to the bank.  The problem is currents will be faster between you and the fish, causing a big belly in your fly line which then accelerates your fly on the surface causing drag.  And fish won't eat a fly with drag on it 99.9% of the time.  Get further upstream and cast down towards that fish and you will have so much less drag that you may at times not even need to mend.
I could go on and on about dry fly fishing.  [emoji4]    

In about 5 seconds, you summed up my greatest challenge; getting a drag free drift. I’m definitly working on that. My second issue is dealing with the very light tackle needed for this very technical fishing this time of year. I’m in my mid 50s and my eye sight gets worse and worse every year. I use the magnifiers that pin to the bill of my cap but it’s limited field of view makes it a pain in the ass. Also, I’m usually ok when knot typing with 5x but have more and more dexterity issues with 6x and even worse with the 7x. I know it’s necessary but I hate the size 20 and smaller flies!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Njpddet said:

In about 5 seconds, you summed up my greatest challenge; getting a drag free drift. I’m definitly working on that. My second issue is dealing with the very light tackle needed for this very technical fishing this time of year. I’m in my mid 50s and my eye sight gets worse and worse every year. I use the magnifiers that pin to the bill of my cap but it’s limited field of view makes it a pain in the ass. Also, I’m usually ok when knot typing with 5x but have more and more dexterity issues with 6x and even worse with the 7x. I know it’s necessary but I hate the size 20 and smaller flies!!!!!

I just turned 55, so I feel your pain!  I don't own 7X tippet.  I force 6X into size 24 flies.  Look into threaders for your flies if you struggle with that aspect.  I just squint like heck and jam the tippet through the eye of the fly.  :)  

The drag free drift is the hardest thing in fly fishing IMO.  But once learned properly, it becomes habit that you don't even think about.  It also helps greatly on that river system to learn to shoot line to get longer casts.  

I just turned 55, so I feel your pain!  I don't own 7X tippet.  I force 6X into size 24 flies.  Look into threaders for your flies if you struggle with that aspect.  I just squint like heck and jam the tippet through the eye of the fly.  [emoji4]  
The drag free drift is the hardest thing in fly fishing IMO.  But once learned properly, it becomes habit that you don't even think about.  It also helps greatly on that river system to learn to shoot line to get longer casts.  

Lmao and bingo. My third greatest issue. I can’t double haul for crap.

2 minutes ago, Njpddet said:

Lmao and bingo. My third greatest issue. I can’t double haul for crap.

So just single haul and shoot line out.  If you overshoot your target, quickly slide the fly toward you until you are in that fish's lane, and then let the drift begin over its head.  Better to toss too far and adjust than too short where the fish can't see it but where you have to allow it to drift well past the fish before lifting off the water and risk spooking it.