Swamp_Yankee

Unclog plumbing vent stack from inside?

My wife called to say that our upstairs bathroom reeks.  I noticed a little bit of a funky odor myself recently and I'm wondering if the stack vent has a birds' nest, etc...in it.  The problem is the roof has a very steep pitch to it and the shingles on that (north) side of the house have a lot of moss on them.  It's about 25' from the eaves to the ground so I'm not crazy about the idea of going up there.  However, I can access the vent stack from our walk-up attic very easily.  I'm thinking of going up there and drilling a 1/2" or so hole in the side of the pipe and running a snake up and out of the top of the vent which should dislodge whatever is in there.  When I'm done I'll just use a fernco type of clamp to seal it up.  I can't think of any reason why this wouldn't work well since it's not as if the pipe holds water or pressure?  

Posted (edited)

No way you should smell anything from the vent. There is always a trap filled with water to prevent any smell from outside unless you don't use it for a very long time and the water evaporates. 

Edited by Lunatic

2 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

No way you should smell anything from the vent. There is always a trap filled with water to prevent any smell from outside unless you don't use it for a very long time and the water evaporates. 

Can't think of what else it would be-its a second floor bathroom so its not as if we have backup-stuff would be coming out of every drain in the basement/1st floor if that were the case.  Also, this bathroom is the one our daughters use so to say that everything (toilet, sink, tub/shower) gets used often would be an understatement.  No chance of a dry trap.  Googling the problem reveals that a bad smell can be a sign of a clogged vent pipe as a buildup of pressure in the vent stack can force sewer gases through the trap and into the living space.  

• Like 1

Could be nasty build up in the drains your smelling. This stuff works pretty good cleaning the build up.

IMG_0075.jpg

The wax ring, or that area of the floor,  is bad?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

Can't think of what else it would be-its a second floor bathroom so its not as if we have backup-stuff would be coming out of every drain in the basement/1st floor if that were the case.  Also, this bathroom is the one our daughters use so to say that everything (toilet, sink, tub/shower) gets used often would be an understatement.  No chance of a dry trap.  Googling the problem reveals that a bad smell can be a sign of a clogged vent pipe as a buildup of pressure in the vent stack can force sewer gases through the trap and into the living space.  

Then it can be the vent since the smell can not penetrate the water. Nest of any kind could not do all this . You would need a complete seal of the vent and it would effect all bathrooms/sinks ETC

Edited by Lunatic
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jim_ said:

The wax ring, or that area of the floor,  is bad?

I will buy that one

45 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Then it can be the vent since the smell can not penetrate the water. Nest of any kind could not do all this . You would need a complete seal of the vent and it would effect all bathrooms/sinks ETC

I'll check it but it's not loose or leaking.  

I'd second the wax ring if the toilet has been there awhile. Mighta got shifted by an extra heavy "load"

• Haha 1

Think about this. For the pressure to built up enough to blow through the trap full of water you would need the vent to be completely sealed up. That’s very unlikely since even a time pinhole would prevent it fro happening. Could be something trapped in the sink trap, and decomposing, stinking up your bathroom. 

You said your daughters use that bathroom, probably a build up of hair in the drain.........probably a big plug of hair and muck......easy fix.........

• Agree 1

had the same problem. removed toliet and put in an extra thick wax ring. never smelled again. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

It's most likely the trap in the sink. I have to clean mine out every couple of months. They can get nasty, especially with kids and heavy use

Edited by Bucndoe
  • Like 1

What type of pipes in the house.

Very unlikely the wax ring. if it was you would most likely have a leak. Is this just a 3 piece bath? bowl, tub and  lav.