IGNORED

Tomato growth help

I started cherry and beefsteak tomatoes from seed in early April in red solo cups.  I planted first week of May and and now my plants are tall 4-5 ft.  I have yet to see a flower and obviously no tomatoes but it’s been near 3 months now and no production.  I’ve done tomatoes before and it’s usually set it and forget it.  I’ve paid lots of attention to these ones and I’m wondering if I should give them their space a bit maybe that would kick them into pollination?  Any advice is helpful!

A6024BBC-AEE3-42DE-A956-A6B8C159878F.jpeg

3 minutes ago, nickmarch said:

If you over fertilize tomatoes they won't flower as they should.  You will get a lot of growth and few flowers.

I only fertilized twice in last 3 months and the last time was almost a full month ago.  They should be flushed of any nutrients but who knows.  I’m gonna let them go and do their own thing for now.  Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Eyesofthewoods said:

I only fertilized twice in last 3 months and the last time was almost a full month ago.  They should be flushed of any nutrients but who knows.  I’m gonna let them go and do their own thing for now.  Thanks!

Make sure you remove "suckers". If the plant is too tall to stake anymore, cut off tops and force them to flower.  From the looks of your plants, they still can grow a lot more. Also, "indeterminate" varieties take longer to set fruit than "determinate" ones. Do you know what you have?  

Edited by archer36

2 hours ago, archer36 said:

Make sure you remove "suckers". If the plant is too tall to stake anymore, cut off tops and force them to flower.  From the looks of your plants, they still can grow a lot more. Also, "indeterminate" varieties take longer to set fruit than "determinate" ones. Do you know what you have?  

I am unsure of

the type I have.  But I have heard if topping the plants but that’s usually a different type of plant lol.  I will keep an eye on them and if they get too tall I will cut the tops off.  Thanks!!

3 hours ago, Eyesofthewoods said:

How can I combat the too much fertilizer with nitrogen?  The last time I fertilized was probably just after Memorial Day and since then I’ve only watered and sun that’s it.  Or am I screwed?

Buy a "organic" granular fertilizer.  Miracle Gro has high nitrogen. Look at the numbers on the bottle. The first number is the nitrogen content. Lawn Fertilizers have numbers in the 30's. A good amount for Tomatoes is under 10.  Don't stop fertilizing.  Just get one with low nitrogen. It still needs the other two minerals. 

Edited by archer36