5 minutes ago, tjfslaughter said:

When you make lox you are basically using chemicals to cure the fish instead of heat.    

Ok, salt is a chemical.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Ok, salt is a chemical.

Very similar how Ceviche is made with the acid in limes as well as the onions...

Edited by tjfslaughter

On 6/25/2020 at 2:41 PM, Nanuk said:

Nice looking fish, I've made it several times and found a 3 to 1 ratio works,  1 cup Kosher to 3 Cups Light Brown Sugar with fresh dill and dill seasoning. Sandwich two fillets together wrap with saran tightly, place on a rack in cookie sheet and place another cookie sheet on top with some weight . before you place fish on the rack poke some holes in saran to allow moisture to drain .. i do 2-1/2 days on a 1-1/4" fillet turning midway through the time. if you wanna make Gravlox  rinse off your cure and allow to dry . place in smoker as low as possible just enough to add flavor with no heat , you may need to add a baffle 1 hour should be sufficient  ..  I have some in frig now that i caught up in Lake Ontario last weekend . i'll post it up when im done

Good Luck  

I used the 3:1 ratio that you suggested (I did it by weight) on a $11 fat bellied chunk of farmed Atlantic salmon.   Then put a lot of fresh dill into the mixture, slathered it on liberally and put in a ziplock bag between two brownie pans with two 2.5lb ‘powerlifting plates’ which fitted into the pans nicely.   Then into the fridge it went.

After the required turn over at 36 hours I took it out, rinsed of the cure thoroughly at 72 hours and dried with paper towels and stored in a ziplock bag.

The result was spectacularly received within my household - lovely texture, just enough salt (definitely moderated by the sugar) with a light and delicate touch of dill.

Thanks for the reminder Looney and for the revised cure Nanuk.  It was even better than my dad’s I have to admit and I am sorry that he is no longer alive to have enjoyed it with us.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Nice Luny, try poaching sockeye... served cold with cucumber/dill sauce. Outstanding

Never tried poaching it but for me salmon and dill is like peanut butter and jelly. Perfect together 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, madeinuk said:

I used the 3:1 ratio that you suggested (I did it by weight) on a $11 fat bellied chunk of farmed Atlantic salmon.   Then put a lot of fresh dill into the mixture, slathered it on liberally and put in a ziplock bag between two brownie pans with two 2.5lb ‘powerlifting plates’ which fitted into the pans nicely.   Then into the fridge it went.

After the required turn over at 36 hours I took it out, rinsed of the cure thoroughly at 72 hours and dried with paper towels and stored in a ziplock bag.

The result was spectacularly received within my household - lovely texture, just enough salt (definitely moderated by the sugar) with a light and delicate touch of dill.

Thanks for the reminder Looney and for the revised cure Nanuk.  It was even better than my dad’s I have to admit and I am sorry that he is no longer alive to have enjoyed it with us.

Nanuks 3:1 is the way to go. I did it one to one first and it was not edible. 
next I’ll try king salmon available by me, also wild caught. Much thicker fish it may take little longer but it should be great. I personally don’t like the taste of farm raised salmon. 

2 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Nanuks 3:1 is the way to go. I did it one to one first and it was not edible. 
next I’ll try king salmon available by me, also wild caught. Much thicker fish it may take little longer but it should be great. I personally don’t like the taste of farm raised salmon. 

I agree on the uncured farmed Atlantic but it is good when done this way.

It was the thickest fillet that I could find and $11 was not going to be a heart stopping loss if I messed it up too.

Would absolutely try it on any wild salmon if I found thick enough fillets. 

6 minutes ago, madeinuk said:

I agree on the uncured farmed Atlantic but it is good when done this way.

It was the thickest fillet that I could find and $11 was not going to be a heart stopping loss if I messed it up too.

Would absolutely try it on any wild salmon if I found thick enough fillets. 

Thick is nice. Considering what King salmon goes f0r, I bought two ponds today at $27.99/lb, the $11 is a steal :up: king is as thick if not thicker than Atlantic 

your cheapest wild caught is sockeye. They are not thick so it only take short time to cure them but they are very tasty 

Looks great .

you guys are going to have Jr break down and buy a pellet smoker .

i get decent results with the Bradley’s , but they are a lot of work to do .

seems the pellet smokers are way more user friendly 

So I did another batch, this time with very thick King Salmon. All I have to say is WOW. The flavor is perfect and salt level just right 

Don’t go with thin fillets, they absorb too much salt. Maybe less curing time is in order with thin fish 

C8AA04C7-5ED4-4F72-9B34-EE4D9CAC3002.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m most likely heading on a last minute trip to Alaska.... if I catch a bunch of sockeye I will be making some up. That is some of the best fish to come out of Alaska next to Winter caught King’s and certain runs of silvers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, tjfslaughter said:

I’m most likely heading on a last minute trip to Alaska.... if I catch a bunch of sockeye I will be making some up. That is some of the best fish to come out of Alaska next to Winter caught King’s and certain runs of silvers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King is great but crazy expensive here in NJ. $27.99/lb. 

Wow that looks good! I always thought you had to cold smoke it. Now that I see how easy it is I’m going to be making a batch this weekend.  Thanks for sharing  

3 minutes ago, Reeltight said:

Wow that looks good! I always thought you had to cold smoke it. Now that I see how easy it is I’m going to be making a batch this weekend.  Thanks for sharing  

That’s  the beauty of it and I was too shocked how easy and quick it is