I like this stuff but never made it before. So I bought two Sockeye Salmon fillets, some salt, brown sugar and dill. The recipe calls for equal parts of salt and sugar, dill and pepper. You coat the fish on both sides, wrap it in foil, weigh it down with something and drain+turn every 12 hrs. It take 36 to 48, I did it in 36,  hrs and its done. It came out great, good texture and flavor but little too salty. These fillets where very thin, not like the Atlantic salmon, so I think 24 hrs would be enough.

IMG_4870.jpg

IMG_4871.jpg

IMG_4891.jpg

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Jewish Sushi !!!  Delicious, me & my wife and kids love it

Edited by BHC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love it on a good quality everything bagel with good cream cheese

• Agree 1

nice. i always put lox on my bagels. 

• Like 1

Firehouse Bagels are great, in Branchville 

And don't forget the capers! I can eat this stuff with just capers...

That looks great. I might have to try that myself.

• Like 1

Very nice, also known as Gravalox.  I have caught fish in Alaska and had fresh lox the next day.  I sometimes do a chemical cure brine and rinse the brine out and do a cold smoke.

My dad used to make that - thanks for the reminder to give it a go myself.

The balance of sugar and salt are important but at the end of the day it will (and should)  always be salty.

36 minutes ago, madeinuk said:

My dad used to make that - thanks for the reminder to give it a go myself.

The balance of sugar and salt are important but at the end of the day it will (and should)  always be salty.

I really think the fish wasn't thick enough for 36 hrs. Next time I will taste it after 24.
However it isn't bad. I had it with salad for lunch and it was great, Also little lemon takes away the salty taste.

51 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I really think the fish wasn't thick enough for 36 hrs. Next time I will taste it after 24.
However it isn't bad. I had it with salad for lunch and it was great, Also little lemon takes away the salty taste.

I will not argue the point on that because I have never done it myself so have little understanding of how the different variables impact the finished product.

I will say that I will need to try this - just one more example of wishing I had paid more attention when I was younger to how my elders did things LOL

4 minutes ago, madeinuk said:

I will not argue the point on that because I have never done it myself so have little understanding of how the different variables impact the finished product.

I will say that I will need to try this - just one more example of wishing I had paid more attention when I was younger to how my elders did things LOL

I will not argue as well since this is my first time.
I am with you on the "I wish I paid more attention". However; with so much information at our finger tips it is just a matter of few tries and we will be ready to teach the next generation.

Nice looking fish, I've made it several times and found a 3 to 1 ratio works,  1 cup Kosher to 3 Cups Light Brown Sugar with fresh dill and dill seasoning. Sandwich two fillets together wrap with saran tightly, place on a rack in cookie sheet and place another cookie sheet on top with some weight . before you place fish on the rack poke some holes in saran to allow moisture to drain .. i do 2-1/2 days on a 1-1/4" fillet turning midway through the time. if you wanna make Gravlox  rinse off your cure and allow to dry . place in smoker as low as possible just enough to add flavor with no heat , you may need to add a baffle 1 hour should be sufficient  ..  I have some in frig now that i caught up in Lake Ontario last weekend . i'll post it up when im done

Good Luck  

Tried many different brands and unfortunately the more you pay the better it is.........so hey send me some of yours  and Ill give you my opinion........Thanks

1 hour ago, Nanuk said:

Nice looking fish, I've made it several times and found a 3 to 1 ratio works,  1 cup Kosher to 3 Cups Light Brown Sugar with fresh dill and dill seasoning. Sandwich two fillets together wrap with saran tightly, place on a rack in cookie sheet and place another cookie sheet on top with some weight . before you place fish on the rack poke some holes in saran to allow moisture to drain .. i do 2-1/2 days on a 1-1/4" fillet turning midway through the time. if you wanna make Gravlox  rinse off your cure and allow to dry . place in smoker as low as possible just enough to add flavor with no heat , you may need to add a baffle 1 hour should be sufficient  ..  I have some in frig now that i caught up in Lake Ontario last weekend . i'll post it up when im done

Good Luck  

That’s some good info. I did 1 to 1 and was afraid to reduce salt content, thinking fish would go bad
light smoke sound good as well. 

Thanks