IGNORED

NJ Public Land vs other states

On 6/22/2020 at 6:34 PM, ltnic said:

Hey y'all, trying to get some more insight on hunting in NJ and I was wondering how many of you hunt public. Do you hunt public in any other states? If so, how do you feel the pressure in NJ compares to the other states?

I hunt public in PA and private there too.  Only hunt public here in NJ.  It gets crowded and sometimes it’s not even hunters.  You’ll see dog walkers, hikers, photographers, ATC riders, horseback riding.  It’s a bit much if you ask me.  Also if you’re on stocked pheasant public land take cover when season opens I made a mistake going out last year to hunt in-line for deer and I got peppered 3 separate times

and heard pellets hitting trees around me I was in full orange.  Too many people want to act like a cowboy out in the woods when safety is key.

On 6/26/2020 at 2:35 PM, _X7 said:

Yes we are. I see license plates from more than a few states coming here  to hunt because of their limited ability to hunt because of private land. The ridiculous number of antlerless they can take home draws them to it. And they don't think twice about decimating the resource.  The same with fishing on streams close to populated borders.  

So, your logic is that hunters are making the conscious effort to buy a license and come to NJ because they have limited public land in their state and no other reason.  I just don't find the logic credible.  

18 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

So, your logic is that hunters are making the conscious effort to buy a license and come to NJ because they have limited public land in their state and no other reason.  I just don't find the logic credible.  

I think he is indicating that non-residents  are drawn to the unlimited antlerless seasons.  I have seen this first hand, particularly in black river WMA and at high point state park.  I’ve seen a large number of PA residents drive the crap out of these public lands to shoot anything brown.

10 hours ago, stratocaster said:

I can give two cares if you find it credible or not. I know what I see and I stand by my statements. The bag limits are also a draw.. I see you left that part of my response out..."The ridiculous number of antlerless they can take home draws them to it" Now who is credible?

All members of NJSFSC get insurance coverage as part of their membership fee:

http://www.njsfsc.org/member-benefits/insurance-coverage/

Last year, I also decided to buy a $1M umbrella policy that goes with my home/auto insurance (useful for more than just hunting insurance, too)

Now with my personal umbrella policy and the NJSFSC insurance, I should be covered for any catastrophic hunting accident. And I think both of these coverages together should satisfy any landowner that asks me if I have liability coverage.

Didn’t Trenton make it impossible to purchase hunting liability insurance?

UBNJ also now offers hunting insurance with membership, membership is $25. Covers you in all 50 states and Canada, no matter what species you’re hunting. $1M general liability and $4M umbrella. You can PM me if interested, I don’t want to get off topic but I just wanted to toss it out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see PA guys over here a lot, and NY, even Maine and NH.  They come for the unlimited doe and will shoot everyone they see.  I've talked to quite a few of them.  Either their states are lacking deer population (so they come here to destroy ours too), or they are only allowed 1 or 2 deer in their state.  Nice to have all this land to hunt up here, but being so close to NY and PA  adds to the problem of people shooting off the doe on public land.

Where do those out-of-staters typically go for those unlimited does? I haven't seen that down where I am (I still count the new ridiculous 9-deer limit as unlimited). Is that happening more up in the northern zones? [hmmm... now that I'm looking at the map, I didn't realize it until just now but !wow! almost the entire state north of Trenton is unlimited antlerless from mid-September to mid-Februrary! :eek:]

4 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Where do those out-of-staters typically go for those unlimited does? I haven't seen that down where I am (I still count the new ridiculous 9-deer limit as unlimited). Is that happening more up in the northern zones? [hmmm... now that I'm looking at the map, I didn't realize it until just now but !wow! almost the entire state north of Trenton is unlimited antlerless from mid-September to mid-Februrary! :eek:]

Central jersey here, have met multiple PA/NY hunters that come through