IGNORED

Any new strategies for deer season?

deadonshot2

No strategy change for hunt but big change- Going to start butchering my deer this year. Have always dropped deer Off to be processed. for this season bought stainless steel table, added water and sink in the garage, built hoist system, grinder, vac sealer, upgraded boning/skinning knives. 

been watching a lot of YouTube videos to try to learn. Actually making me more excited to hunt than usual. 

1 minute ago, Herd Buck said:

Deadonshot I know it varies every year but how can you tell if it’s pre-rut vs rut? What dates of the year do you like best if you don’t mind sharing. 

I like the last week of october. Really any time from 10/20 on. Pre rut you will see bucks coming in sniffing does and moving off if doe is not close to being ready. About 10% of does are actually bred in October so it is possible you see a doe get bred during that time. That does not mean it is the main rut. During the rut the buck never lets the doe get too far away. I watched a buck a couple seasons ago locked down with a doe from time I got in my stand until dark. They were bedded in a hedgerow. She would come out and feed in meadow and he would stand there guarding her. This happened just about every 30 minutes. 

But to fully answer your question. I have my most success between 10/20 and 11/10. I take off as much of that time as I can. Usually burn two weeks of vacation during that time.

1. Stop baiting and checking cams in season where I know the deer are going to travel anyway

2. Hunt EAB even though it’s 85 degrees because the deer are little more predictable.

3. Hunt different areas of property to observe deer movement even if it’s not a heavily used trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Hawkeye57 said:

No strategy change for hunt but big change- Going to start butchering my deer this year. Have always dropped deer Off to be processed. for this season bought stainless steel table, added water and sink in the garage, built hoist system, grinder, vac sealer, upgraded boning/skinning knives. 

been watching a lot of YouTube videos to try to learn. Actually making me more excited to hunt than usual. 

I started doing my own butchering 2 years ago it is very exciting and rewarding. Youtube is a great tool, I learned alot from different channels.

Bearded Butchers is one of my favorites.....

Edited by rackemup
Added Content

I think every property has to have its own approach. This year on one private..I'm going to make some hanging licking branches and not just pee'd in scrapes.

On another...I intend to get into stand earlier..as its low impact and bumping deer can be an issue.

And multiple public spots I intend to push in further and not just hunt the edges.

Edited by megavites

I am only going to bowhunt NYS this year. I am sick and tired of NJ requiring an extended season permit and a buck tag. I am done being nickle and dimed.

I have a spot scouted out in NYS where pheasant hunters will likely drive deer to me in October. Then again I have tried that strategy in NJ with no success.

I found that the moon phases last year were extremely conducive for early rut or "pre rut" activity. I don't believe the moon is "everything" that determines the rut, but I do feel it is a significant enough factor to pay attention to.  I do feel "things" were significantly earlier than "normal" last year  - so take it for what it's worth.   Note when the full moons and new moons are and what month and day they occur. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

20 hours ago, deadonshot2 said:

Just like it says. Anyone going to try something different this season? New tactic, new area, new equipment? I am going to try to do a few blind hunts. I don't mean out of a ground blind. I mean scout, find an area, and set up and hunt. No bait, no cameras just using skills taught many years ago. Could be a bust or could be one the most exciting hunts ever. Who knows. If I like it I will do more of it. At this age it is more about enjoying every minute and not what one kills for me.  I am just looking to change what I have been doing for years and see if I enjoy it even more. If not, I can always go back to doing what I had been. Scouting, running cams, setting up and knowing a pattern of a certain buck.

So what are you planning to do different?

I’m gonna hunt some of my buddy’s spots, he runs cameras all season long and patterns good bucks 😂 😂