IGNORED

Best cover scent?

toxo

I did extensive testing of various cover scents. My most recent test involved my cats favorite food pizza. I starved him for two days to get optimum results. I tested dead down wind just  two sprays and 3 weeks later my cat still  has no clue he has been using a pizza for a bed. 

cats-in-food-27.jpg

I try to step in deer poop on the way in. 

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

19 hours ago, BHC said:

there was a time I used baking soda and it works great, but after time it fades the camo

I hand dipped the new gillie suit for a few seconds in a bucket of water and a little baking soda to eliminate the manufacturing odor.  Went up the driveway to the clothes line, and when the drip line dried, I had brown stains all over the driveway.  Half the dye washed out.  It wasn't the baking soda, it was China!  Hunting clothes haven't faded any more than my other clothes that get washed in detergents.

I use hand expressed skunk sent on my boots along with a special clothes soaking recipe that I'll share:
collect a couple nice big cow pies.
add the pies and your hunting clothes into the washer
put on a hot, soak overnight, no rinse cycle
hang on the line to dry

My wife would kill me if I did that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, oldghost said:
On 6/19/2020 at 8:48 PM, NotJust22s said:
I use hand expressed skunk sent on my boots along with a special clothes soaking recipe that I'll share:
collect a couple nice big cow pies.
add the pies and your hunting clothes into the washer
put on a hot, soak overnight, no rinse cycle
hang on the line to dry

My wife would kill me if I did that.

Nah, my wife is the designated skunk milker

9 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Did you ever try walking without it? I have the same exact results with just clean boots and aired out clothes.  

of course...but in one spot I can't avoid crossing deer trail and the spot remains good all year. On another, wind swirl can end the day but this has helped bring them in..even if on slight alert.

You can't beat their nose 100% of the time...I've just found this helps.

I've been using  Evercalm for years. I'm finding out though that when I put it on my rubber boots when I walk in, the scent stays on the boots and the Deer come in right under or way too close to my treestand.

Happened more then once. I don't do it anymore.

Edited by Dinger

On 6/20/2020 at 9:55 PM, Foggy Mountain said:

You live alone? Most women would freak out. Realize skunks scent when alarmed and the association of cow pies in an area of no cows could eventually be detrimental. Areas where no one smokes they might not be alarmed in the least. Let them catch a few smokers and the smells alert them. All association. I’d never use anything that wasn’t absolutely normal. Cow pies in a pasture yes. A mountaintop?

Op biologists I’ve heard say deer can smell dead skin cells fall off you. So let me ask ya this? You’re thinking along our lines of smell,, imagine early morning driving with your buddy. You can smell his morning breath sometimes, his coffee breath, if he smokes his hands too. Deer can decipher more than one smell. 
I’ve had it was I think Barry Wensel say, imagine you dump in a bathroom than spray pine scented “cover up” in there. It doesn’t smell like a pine forest, it now smells like you taken a dump in a pine forest. Deer and canines smell more than just the strongest scent. 
Imagine how much stronger a deers nose is. Now add practiced. Anyone who has a game dog knows when they’re put up they aren’t 100% on their game. Guys that train all year have better results. A deer is at it all day all year, his life depends on it. 
No cover scent is changing that. Add to the odors you’ll never get rid of like breath, sweaty hair or hands. 
Hunting the wind is a much better option. Where most guys lack here is they don’t plan entrance, exit strategy. They don’t figure where most deer are going and if scent will blow over to em after they pass or if they’re in a bad area on way out. They also don’t leave if the winds changes unfavorable. 
Back to the dogs, anyone who runs dogs be it hounds or bird dogs knows some days the scenting is just better. That matters but put some earth scent on a pheasant or rabbit and see if your dog can find it?? Put it on yourself. See if your dog can find you. I knew a guy tried it and the dog walked right up to him. 
Lots of this stuff is so the makers kid can afford college. Squealing hen turkey, cracking nut device, etc seems silly right? These marketers flood your brain with info so you’ll purchase this stuff. 
So if you really want just a cover scent, why not put your clothes in a bag of pine branches from where you hunt or fill that bag with rotting leaves from the forest floor? 
It’s cheap and probably would work even better than some stuff scented with preservatives. Think about that. 

Years ago I have a friend that put his camo in a bag with dirt and leaves at the end of the season,When he took them out the clothes where all rotted and fell apart!  Those where the days when Camo was just cotton. He might be a member on here! LOL

Edited by Dinger