IGNORED

Sparta

Jerseybassnbow

24 minutes ago, Rusty said:

I'm backed up to Sparta Mt WMA,  we are seeing a significant increase in the number of bears since the WMAs have been closed to bear hunting.  As I'm typing this we have a sow and 3 cubs sleeping under our apple trees.  

I live around Wildcat Ridge WMA ... definitely many more bears now. Farny State Park, too. 

I went into my attached garage at 5:15 this morning and there was one just outside the door, and it huffed or something at me before running off. They don't care.

I'm writing another (useless?) letter to Gov Murphy today.

(I'm also seeing more bats around the house. Hopefully that means the population grows at the Hibernia hibernacula.) 

4 minutes ago, Jim_ said:

I live around Wildcat Ridge WMA ... definitely many more bears now. Farny State Park, too. 

I went into my attached garage at 5:15 this morning and there was one just outside the door, and it huffed or something at me before running off. They don't care.

I'm writing another (useless?) letter to Gov Murphy today.

(I'm also seeing more bats around the house. Hopefully that means the population grows at the Hibernia hibernacula.) 

Send the letter.  Murphy has not allowed the DEP to issue a statement on the man attacked in High Crest Lake in West Milford the other week because he knows it will make him look bad.  

Great news on the bats.  That hibernaculum was slammed by white nosed syndrome.  I put a bat box up on a tree in my yard, but no bats using it yet.  However, I have seen three at once hunting over our backyards the other night and haven't seen more than one in years.  So I do think white nosed has reached some equilibrium with Mother Nature.   

10 hours ago, KBfishing said:

Looking at this pic most would say he was a small sparta bear because his belly doesnt sag. He weighed 650 lbs at 4 years old according to the biologist. Looks can be deceiving.

20161010_064220.jpg

Good point.  There's still no shortcuts to age.  Older bears will be longer and taller which spreads their weight out.  We have all seen young, fat bears that look enormous because of belly sag, but they "only" weight maybe 350 lbs.  Bears are just like humans - they come in all sizes.  But when you get age with availability to dumpsters, you get some real monsters.  

7 hours ago, Nadornati said:

Talking about bear... anybody have a spot :) , since governor D bag took stokes SF away

Unless something changes it seems Delaware Water Gap and Newark Watershed are the only public land open to bear hunting.  Both are loaded with bears. However, they don't allow baiting. There is almost no enforcement at Newark Watershed so you can bait although not allowed. I see more bears in NW than deer when deer or turkey hunting.