IGNORED

They Are Coming To Pork Roll Country

BHC

1 hour ago, mazzgolf said:

I always wanted to bring this up but didn't want to be laughed at :)  But this thread is an appropriate time.

Now, before I say anything, let me show you these pics - they are pictures of the rear window of an SUV during spring time. And **before you read anything below** take a look at these pictures and ask yourself, "What do I think these are a picture of?" Side note: I'm not 100% sure what they are myself. What do YOU think they are?

turkey-2013-05-17-10-bear-prints2.jpg.1ec4b377a9c53117b070c757a4fd7632.jpgturkey-2013-05-17-09-bear-prints1.jpg.3ee18916a1a10382b2e3ec2e4841a625.jpg

OK. Now the story.

This happened my first year hunting (actually, my first season hunting anything - this was spring turkey season 2013, it was literally like my 3rd day of hunting - my Mazz stories started early. :lookaround:)

Now, the important part of this story (and what makes it weird) is the location - this is Gloucester County. Not "Cape May" South Jersey, but it's South Jersey. And it's not deep in the Pinelands either. To you guys up north, listening to this story you'll be like "so what?" but to us in the south, it's a big deal (it is to me anyway, especially at the time being my first hunting experience).

Me and a friend are hunting another buddy's private place. We parked in a small parking area next to some buildings and set up a blind no more than 150 yards away from where we parked. Early morning, in the blind, my buddy whispers to me, "Look over there, I think I see one. I saw a black blob moving." [remember,  we're spring turkey hunting]. Well, we never saw anything after that, and never heard gobbles or clucks, nothing. But the movement was in the direction where we parked. Several hours pass, and we pack up to go home. We get to where we parked the SUV, and on the SUV's rear window we saw what you see in the pictures above.

Now - does that not look like bear paw prints to you? Not a large bear to be sure, but it looks like a bear. As if the bear stood up on its hind legs, put its front paws on the window, and looked inside the window to see if there were any goodies inside? And the green is the spring time pollen sticking to the morning dew on the window, which is how the prints stuck there.

That's the first thing that came to our minds when we saw it - and then we remembered my buddy seeing this "black blob" moving around earlier that morning and we thought, "Did we just have a black bear walking around here?"

We showed the pix to our friend who owns the property and he thought we were joking around (by his reaction, I realized it wasn't HIM trying to play a joke on US). But we swore those prints were legit.

I've never seen (nor heard anyone else seeing) a black bear down here. I know it isn't unheard of, but a black bear in Gloucester County would seem to be a big deal if it really happened.

Anyway, as I say, you guys up north are probably rolling your eyes, but to me it was a big deal. And I swear if I ever saw a bear in the flesh while walking around in the woods, I'd pee myself. :rofl:

What part of GC were you hunting? I was deer hunting in Sewell, in the area of the old Ron Jaworski’s golf course, and saw one at first light.  He was traveling south along the Mantua Creek.  There were several reported sightings. 

6 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

What part of GC were you hunting? I was deer hunting in Sewell, in the area of the old Ron Jaworski’s golf course, and saw one at first light.  He was traveling south along the Mantua Creek.  There were several reported sightings. 

Ah.. I played many a rounds at the old Eagle's Nest/Maple Ridge. Go southeast from there - about 15 or 2o miles as the crow flies - and that's about the area where I was.

23 hours ago, BHC said:

We are trading you northern guy.....

Black Bears for Chiggers

Then we will see you guys really complain

37 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

We are trading you northern guy.....

Black Bears for Chiggers

Then we will see you guys really complain

I had them really bad back in 2011 hanging stands in Illinois.....