IGNORED

Any of your kids are interested in coin collecting?

Lunatic

I have an S-VDB in the csollection I bought, but when I took it for an appraisal, I was informed that it was manufactured by a jeweler. Therefore, that collection wasn't worth near what I paid. One and only good investment, was the 55 double die I bought, but maybe that has gone down now too.

10 minutes ago, Jerzguy2 said:

I have an S-VDB in the csollection I bought, but when I took it for an appraisal, I was informed that it was manufactured by a jeweler. Therefore, that collection wasn't worth near what I paid. One and only good investment, was the 55 double die I bought, but maybe that has gone down now too.

Jewlers were notorious for soldering in the s. Under a high-powered loop the appraiser can see it. It was also common to  copper coat a steel penny.I was offered a few,when I pulled out my little magnet out of my pocket they said nevermind.

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Rusty, the really funny part of your story is what those silver dollars could have been worth. When silver prices are high any one of those coins would be worth a lot more than one dollar based on their silver content alone. I don't know when you unloaded those 6000 coins, but in 1980 silver was going for $48+ an ounce. Those coins then would have been worth around $280,000.  Even at todays current price of over $17 an ounce, those coins would be worth around $102,000. Oh well, we all suffer from hindsight.

1 hour ago, OldPiney Woods said:

Rusty, the really funny part of your story is what those silver dollars could have been worth. When silver prices are high any one of those coins would be worth a lot more than one dollar based on their silver content alone. I don't know when you unloaded those 6000 coins, but in 1980 silver was going for $48+ an ounce. Those coins then would have been worth around $280,000.  Even at todays current price of over $17 an ounce, those coins would be worth around $102,000. Oh well, we all suffer from hindsight.

Maybe he had a bunch of Eisenhower non-silver dollars.

Jerzguy2

have both of the coins you mentioned

the 1955 double die in ms62 brown and the 09 s in ms 64 brown

bad news... both have gone down by 40% since last year.

i sold a complete Indian head cent collection and lost 4000 off of what i had put in it! All were au or better.

Nomad,

here’s something my daughter used to love doing...

go to the bank and buy a case of pennies or dimes, sort through them at home and take out any dates or types you are interested in

ex- wheat cents, mercury dimes , etc 

put in junk change ,and refill the wrappers

return to the bank and it never cost you a cent( or a dime) in fact you just made money on silver.

1 minute ago, flukebelly said:

Nomad,

go to the bank and buy a case of pennies or dimes, sort through them at home and take out any dates or types you are interested in

return to the bank and it never cost you a cent( or a dime) in fact you just made money on silver.

Good idea, thanks.

13 minutes ago, flukebelly said:

Nomad,

Lakeland bank charges you 5% to count your change even if it's wrapped.  I spend it now instead of saving it.

Edited by Greybeard