IGNORED

NJ Pistol Permit Question

So my pistol permits came in and now time to make a purchase or two.  My question is can I go to, say Missouri  or Florida or Virginia and visit family and purchase a pistol with my NJ paperwork??  The officer explained yes but I would still have to have something transferred to NJ??  Very unclear about purchasing process.  I know I need to get to a range somewhere and shoot a couple, to find what I like.  

Thanks for any help and direction.  Mostly will be used for fun shooting at the range and oh, just in case someone tries to enter my house!!!!

You can purchase a handgun out of state or online but cannot take possession of it at that time. The seller would have to ship it to a licensed FFL in NJ that would process your NICS check and permit paperwork in order to transfer the gun to you.

So do I arrange with a NJ FFL ahead of time?? Would certainly like to do it some place close to my house (Warren County). I have no relationship with any gun dealers, so this is all new to me.  

You can use any FFL in NJ that you choose. It’s probably a good idea to identify who you want to use prior to purchasing out of state this way you’ll know that this dealer is willing to accept the firearm on your behalf and what the fees will be. Also, the NJ FFL will have to provide a copy of their license to the seller prior to them forwarding the gun to NJ.

23 minutes ago, Tuck said:

So do I arrange with a NJ FFL ahead of time?? Would certainly like to do it some place close to my house (Warren County). I have no relationship with any gun dealers, so this is all new to me.  

Yes. You will pay for the gun at the point of purchase and provide a copy of the FFL you are shipping it to. You can use whoever you wish. Just let them know a gun is coming to them for you. You will complete the transfer and NICS check at the NJ FFL and take it home with you

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

8 minutes ago, smittty said:

I buy a lot of guns most on auction site”s out of state that being said don’t sweat the out of state transfer. It nothing just 30.00 bucks

The cost of the transfer is dependent on the dealer. They are not universal. The only universal cost is the NICS check.

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

If your going to pistols out of state you will need to have them shipped to a NJ ffl to complete your purchase. Gunbroker has a ffl search feature to find dealers in your area. And have looked at buying pistols out of state but you really don't save any money. By the time you add shipping, ffl fee and having to buy 10 round mags you don't really save yourself any money. 

https://www.gunbroker.com/ffl/index

Edited by Rather Be Hunting

7 hours ago, Rather Be Hunting said:

If your going to pistols out of state you will need to have them shipped to a NJ ffl to complete your purchase. Gunbroker has a ffl search feature to find dealers in your area. And have looked at buying pistols out of state but you really don't save any money. By the time you add shipping, ffl fee and having to buy 10 round mags you don't really save yourself any money. 

https://www.gunbroker.com/ffl/index

That’s not true specialty on used guns also I find a lot of pre owned unfired guns there is money to be saved and what about hard to find guns. There’s money to be saved it all depends what your shopping for. And as far as the mags go just buy mag blocks 5.00 there legal yes shipping and Ffl  shipping should be around 10.00 on a pistol and 40.00 on a long gun. Fall 30.00 don’t pay more then 40.00