My regular gas grill is getting old but still working fine. But talking a friend at work and he was saying how good some ribs and brisket came out over the weekend was. Sounded great and I asked how he cooked them and he said on his Z GRILLS ZPG-700D Pellet Grill. He said he would never go back to a gas grill. I asked how long does it take to heat up and he said it will probably preheat to 350 as quick as a gas grill and you can maintain the temp you want. 

Who has one and what brand and model? Pros and Cons?

This is the one i'm looking at....

Z GRILLS ZPG-7002E 2020 Upgrade Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker, 8 in 1 BBQ Grill Auto Temperature Control, inch Cooking Area, 700 sq in Stainless

I have a Pitboss Austin XL, which looks exactly the same as that zgrill just switch out the name plate. Bought it a year ago and never looked back. My 3 year old Weber genesis barely gets used anymore. I bought it just for the smoker but it has become our do everything grill.
Pros are smoke flavor, set it and forget it slow cooking, temp control for any grilling and a few other I’m probably forgetting.
Cons might be the cost of pellets but I don’t find it to crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, Farmshine said:

I have a Pitboss Austin XL, which looks exactly the same as that zgrill just switch out the name plate. Bought it a year ago and never looked back. My 3 year old Weber genesis barely gets used anymore. I bought it just for the smoker but it has become our do everything grill.
Pros are smoke flavor, set it and forget it slow cooking, temp control for any grilling and a few other I’m probably forgetting.
Cons might be the cost of pellets but I don’t find it to crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea the price of the pellets don't seam bad at all from what my buddy said compared to a propane tank. He said a bag last longer than a tank. 

14 minutes ago, DV1 said:

I have a Rec Tec RT 700. Have only done one cook on it but everything came out great. Had a Traeger, and I know some guys love them but I got a lemon. Tried 3 cooks and it had wild temp swings, from like 280 to 160 when set on 225, and it did that several times every hour. I took it back. 

My buddy got the ZGrill last year and loves it. No temp problems. This year model said they fixed that problem with the 2020 model. 

Have the Rec Tec 700 and love everything about it. Its built like a tank everything is high grade stainless steel. It has a 6 year warranty and top notch customer service you get the owners personally phone # that you can call with a problem if the office is closed. Its PID controller has wifi so I can start my grill and monitor it with my phone. On my last cook it ran for 6 hours and the only time it moved off of the set temp is when I opened it up to turn food.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, MikeStaten said:

If the pellet grill doesn’t have the sear feature, do burgers and steaks come out like they are grilled or is it more like being baked?

The taste without useing sear is like grill because you still cooking over wood just not a direct flame 

Edited by smittty