IGNORED

There are Bears in Kinnelon

Axiom

Yup.. And plenty of them.. Just moved here a few months ago and I got bears in the yard, in the Garbage, in my Garage, On my porch steps, In the trees.. bears bears bears. every day bears.  Before I rented this place I noticed it looked like bear habitat so I asked the landlord if he's seen any bears around.. he says "no" but he's pretty sure they're around.. BS.. next time I see him I have to remember to ask him if he's blind...

Below are some pics of a bear my dog bit in the a$$ and chased out of the yard.. The same bear came sneaking back a few minutes later while my dog was eating some pork ribs. Not sure if he wanted to play, wanted the ribs or was pissed at getting his rear end chomped on..I thought I was gonna have to shoot it.. Had the 12 locked and loaded with 3" 00 just in case a fight my dog was sure to lose broke out.... But anyway he just walked passed and my dog didn't even know he came back... 

The bears here are so thick I have to let the dog out to search the perimeter before I go to my car.. Unbelievable

Bear1.jpg

bear2.jpg

bear3.jpg

:D

As I mentioned, I grew up about a mile from Kinnelon in West Milford just across route 23 which separated the two towns in that area.  I saw my first bear in 1973 when I was the ripe old age of 8 in High Crest Lake where I grew up.  Bears were largely thought to be extirpated from NJ at the time, but those of us living in West Milford and towns like Jefferson and Vernon knew better.  By the 80s, we saw them much more often and today they are like mosquitoes.  Get used to bear proofing pretty much everything from the garbage to bird feeders to the garage.  And you can forget about putting out piles of corn by your new deer hunting sites.  That just draws the black menace from miles around.  

Good luck with your new digs.  Kinnelon is a nice town to live in and is also in Morris County which you know well.     

Got two words for you: bear tag.

I live in Haskell which is just a few hills over from you. Get used to the bears. Surprised you haven't seen any yotes yet. The 30+ turkey that used to frequent my yard has dwindled to about 7. I figure the slow ones became yote food. Welcome to the wild north woods of NJ.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Got two words for you: bear tag.

Maybe... Been thinking about it a lot.. certainly no shortage of game...there's a 4 or 500 pounder who comes around.. love to have his hide in front of the fireplace... :smoking:

Edited by Axiom

That was the smallest one who comes around the most often.. He's only slightly bigger than my dog.. My guess is he's about 200lb while my dog is around 175lbs... I was thinking they might be getting tolerative of one another until the dog tried to take a hunk out of his butt.. The way he bit into it didn't make me think he welcomed the bears presence though it appears the bear didn't take it too seriously.. :whatever: