IGNORED

Painting concrete patio advice??

Bonefreak

anyone have any experience painting a concrete patio?

I've watched some videos and researched it a bit but havnt committed to a brand paint. 

Home Depot makes a product called Deckover that's supposed to fill in tiny cracks and protect concrete.

Home Depot also sells concrete paints, textured paints, stains, primers, etc ....my brain hurts talking to the wife about this!!!

7 minutes ago, 3Blade said:

Don't do it. As a mason I cringe everytime  I see painted brick, block,  concrete etc. Once you paint it, you will  have to repaint it and repaint it and repaint it. You will create work for yourself.

How about any type of resurfacing product to revive the surface? I'm having a new pad poured next to a 20 year old pad, and am sure they are going to look quite different. Any suggestions?

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

12 minutes ago, DV1 said:

How about any type of resurfacing product to revive the surface? I'm having a new pad poured next to a 20 year old pad, and am sure they are going to look quite different. Any suggestions?

Yeah they will look different.

The way I look at it, any paint or resurface is a thin coat applied to surface that will eventually peel or chip and need to be redone. You can acid stain concrete and that actually penetrates as opposed to being a thin coating. 

I don't do any of the above so I really can't suggest any particular product. I would try and find one or two contractors that offer staining and speak with them.

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

43 minutes ago, 3Blade said:

Don't do it. As a mason I cringe everytime  I see painted brick, block,  concrete etc. Once you paint it, you will  have to repaint it and repaint it and repaint it. You will create work for yourself.

Yikes!!

Definitely don't wana make anymore work round here!!  Just mastered social distancing lesson during turkey season.....next social distancing lessons are crabbin, fishin, n clamming!!

What wud u suggest....on a budget cuz jersey is not in my long term plans!!!

20200523_134610.jpg

20200523_134620.jpg

18 minutes ago, 3Blade said:

Yeah they will look different.

The way I look at it, any paint or resurface is a thin coat applied to surface that will eventually peel or chip and need to be redone. You can acid stain concrete and that actually penetrates as opposed to being a thin coating. 

I don't do any of the above so I really can't suggest any particular product. I would try and find one or two contractors that offer staining and speak with them.

Cool!!  

Thanks 3blade!!

Any concrete paints are going to wear over time.  We used to use epoxy, latex, or oil base.  Epoxy I think would hold up the best, but you could have problems with peeling between layers when painting over it again years down the road.  With any paint, you want to cut the first coat by 50% so it soaks in, wash with muratic acid first.  I suggested to my wife's uncle to put a slate veneer over his concrete instead of painting it.  He did it himself, and 15 years later it still looks great.  Maybe 3Blade could help you with that. Have you tried powerwashing the black stain out?

Edited by Greybeard

I have concrete steps and landing on my front porch. I use the outdoor bleach or regular bleach diluted and pour it on and brush it in. cleans it up nice.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

Don’t do it. It will be a nightmare for you within  a year. Fine aggregate in concrete, floated to the top during finishing, eroded at a very slow rate but it’s enough to peal your paint in tiny patches. Color in concrete must be mixed in during batching. Just wash it well 

Edited by Lunatic

29 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

What wud u suggest....on a budget cuz jersey is not in my long term plans!!!

Landscaping is your friend here. Fix those flower beds with mulch, some small bushes and flowers. This will hide a lot of the porch and give you something else visually to focus on. Also a few flower pots on the landing too will help.

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

To successfully paint a concrete slab on grade, there must be a vapor barrier under there to stop moisture vapor transmission.

Think of concrete as a big, thick sponge. Lots of nooks and crannies and capillaries that lets moisture travel up and down.

If you cover the concrete with coating, moisture vapor transmission will eventually make it pop off. That's why all these guys are saying don't do it or you'll always to it. It will look great for a few weeks, or even months, and then it starts. Pops off just enough to make it look shitty and puss you off. So then you pressure wash it, scrape it, and do it again... and again... and again.

That's why basements and garages get the 6 mil plastic down before the slab is poured... to stop the moisture vapor from coming through the slab.

You could try a thin concrete stain that soaks in a bit and won't chip off. 

Looking again at your picture, I think a good cleaning with a diluted bleach or simple green put on, let it set a bit, keep it damp, stiff brush or broom and you will be very surprised at how it turns out . Then some flowers or shrubs and potted plants as suggested !

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

Any concrete paints are going to wear over time.  We used to use epoxy, latex, or oil base.  Epoxy I think would hold up the best, but you could have problems with peeling between layers when painting over it again years down the road.  With any paint, you want to cut the first coat by 50% so it soaks in, wash with muratic acid first.  I suggested to my wife's uncle to put a slate veneer over his concrete instead of painting it.  He did it himself, and 15 years later it still looks great.  Maybe 3Blade could help you with that. Have you tried powerwashing the black stain out?

I power washed the right side as u look at pics