IGNORED

Appalachian Trail camera pictures- Lots of Rattlesnakes, Bucks, Porky

Well was taking a ride with my Buddy to go check some of his cameras and we see a Black Phase Rattlesnake coiled up in the Middle of the Road, I got out of the Truck and slowly encouraged the fella off the road, it was a Hot day and it was getting some sun but with all the people driving thru The DWGNPS Land he would have been flattened within minutes. Never like seeing a beautiful Snake crushed on the road. Always wondered do people not see them or do they aim for them? Well got this Rattler safely 20 feet into the woods and it went Under a rock, hopefully it doesn’t come out and go back to the Road !

Well once I see my first Rattlesnake of the year I go on high alert when hiking OFF the AT, next day I am out checking cameras off the AT I come up to a log I always crossover and coiled up at the bottom is a Rattlesnake! I usually see between 7 and 20 Rattlesnakes every year and have only had 3 that didn’t Rattle when you get within 10 feet and they were all babies,  this one Didn’t move or Rattle at all, I actually thought it was Injured.

Well after observing it for a little it started to move and a little rattling , Very peculiar behavior, either it just shed or was Lethargic from the cold weather the night before, it was as  if it couldn’t see me, weird . Anyway I think it was just cold ! We had 1 inch of Snow in May 8th up here on the mountain and it’s been going down into the 30’s. This one had 15 rattles on his tail, they gain a rattle every time they shed and can shed a couple times a year depending on how much they eat so you really can’t age them by the tail. They can live up to 30 years in the wild ! Anyway WATCH WHEN STEPPING OVER LOGS AND BY ROCKS THAT ARE GETTING SUN ON THEM !

Kicked up 4 Grouse hiking, Lots a people getting out and Hiking the AT, Porcupines are all over and the Bucks are starting to grow some Horns .

Good Luck !

EB8264F5-0C90-4CF4-8C52-47924F1D2919.jpeg

A0B5D661-FA78-4B5E-9A18-337ABFB4384E.jpeg

49000256-1616-4DF3-A5F8-1885E5ADE6BD.jpeg

128B2B66-05A1-43FB-BDFC-093F584F4476.jpeg

235AD9D0-E5D8-478E-8CC1-119BA4C40701.jpeg

B1B9CD43-24BF-4ED2-B60E-051626617650.jpeg

C2AD324B-7C69-41C1-B8E8-C0DA3DC7F6F4.jpeg

BDFA4430-BEF6-4364-931F-8E41AABFC070.jpeg

Great pictures, im north of you, never see any rattlesnakes in my area. That last buck picture,  he's going to be a great mountain buck 

Put my camera out yesterday  hopefully good bucks show up 

1 hour ago, JHbowhunter said:

love it - you always get some nice bucks up there on camera.    Are you ever bow hunting them?   Such a big area - any buck taken from there is well earned.    

Yes I Archery Hunt, I have 4 -6 stands up on the mountain, I move them to a different spot every year . I also hunt 6 day Buck and Muzzleloader since 1999, that was the year Fish and Game  moved Muzzleloader to the week before Shotgun , Well the Muzzleloader course was Packed !

Archery is by far my Favorite because you can Read The Signs .