IGNORED

Help with Auto AC Condenser Removal

yoda4x4

Question for all you guys who work on your vehicles...

My Hyundai Accent was in an accident last August and I finally have decided that I want to attempt to fix the front end that was damaged.  I know that the radiator and AC condenser need to be replaced but I'm not sure if there's any refrigerant still in the system.  Since I know I'll have to disconnect the condenser from the vehicle but I don't know if I'll need to remove the refrigerant from the system or if I should just disconnect it and move on.  I've heard that refrigerant is pretty toxic stuff so I want to be safe about this.  I'd prefer to not have to take this to a shop to remove it if I don't have to since all of the coolant has leaked out but if I have to, there's a shop that's 1.5 miles away that I could try to get it there.  This is obviously not preferred.  In any case, what do I need to do?  Just disconnect the lines and move on?  Or something else?

David

Refrigerant is gone, the only thing left is the oil. Replace it, evacuate it, and add new refrigerant. Keep in mind, you might also have to add a little refrigerant oil that was in the condenser. The amount needed will sometimes be in the paperwork included with the new condenser. If this is a little to much, just replace the condenser, then take it to your local shop and they will perform the evac and refill your system. Also let them know you replaced the condencer so that they can add the refrigerant oil as needed. Good luck.

Refrigerant is gone, the only thing left is the oil. Replace it, evacuate it, and add new refrigerant. Keep in mind, you might also have to add a little refrigerant oil that was in the condenser. The amount needed will sometimes be in the paperwork included with the new condenser. If this is a little to much, just replace the condenser, then take it to your local shop and they will perform the evac and refill your system. Also let them know you replaced the condencer so that they can add the refrigerant oil as needed. Good luck.
Thanks for your reply. I'll replace the condenser and leave it without the refrigerant in it as I plan on taking it to a local shop to recharge the system. I don't have the equipment needed to do it nor do I want to buy it. They've already quoted me $175 to do it.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk