IGNORED

New Laptop Needed

BHC

My first ever laptop was a Gateway.  Every laptop since then was either a Dell or HP.  Never had an issue with any of them.  I replace them every 4 years or so.  This one is over 3 1/2 and I'm just noticing it slowing down as I fill it with crap.  You'll be happy with your Dell.  I always buy the fast processor and the most memory I can buy because laptops become obsolete fast.  

49 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

Gateway, damn!  I remember them but haven't heard that name thrown around in many of years.

With the Holstein cow print boxes out of Iowa.  :)

Their problem was trying to make computers in the US when everyone else makes them overseas.  Bye, bye Gateway..........that first laptop with an awesome 3 GB of memory (split into two drives) was also the most expensive computer I ever purchased.  :)  

1 minute ago, Jim_ said:

My first desk top was also a Gateway in the milk cow boxes. 

I think before that the IBM PC/XT/AT  I think that was DOS. Man, I go back. lol

Jeez a walk down memory lane here.  lol   Yep DOS 3.1.  Late '88 is when I graduated and enter the PC field.  10, 20 mb hard drives, 5 1/4" floppy drives.   lol

31 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

Jeez a walk down memory lane here.  lol   Yep DOS 3.1.  Late '88 is when I graduated and enter the PC field.  10, 20 mb hard drives, 5 1/4" floppy drives.   lol

lol... yea, those big floppy's. I think my first IBM the memory was 128 kB.  We're old, man . lol

2 hours ago, Jim_ said:

lol... yea, those big floppy's. I think my first IBM the memory was 128 kB.  We're old, man . lol

Not quite. My first job was at Purolator Filters in Rahway in 1964.  Sorting cards on IBM 083 sorters and using IBM 1401's. We had 2. The big one had 4k of memory and was connected to a 305 RAMAC  drum disk type of drive and the smaller 1401 had 2k of memory.  Both had a 1402 card reader punch and printer attached. 

us__en_us__ibm100__1401__minimal_system__620x350.jpg

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

• 1 month later...

My old laptop finally stopped working, but there is information on it that I need to retrieve. I would like to get it to work again if possible as a backup. Does anyone have the contact information of the guy off 22 in Clinton that was mentioned in one of the post?