IGNORED

Ultralight rod recommendation?

Pathman

I have an old Fenwick I’ve been using for over 30 years, figure its time for an upgrade!😁

the Fenwick is nice but it’s a bit whippy I guess you can say, maybe what I’m actually looking for is a light, not a UL. 
that’s why I’m asking you guys what you’ve been using.  The reel is a Stradic Ci4. 

cant beat a st. croix for the price and quality. triumph rods are cheap or upgrade to the premier series or a step up to the avid series. i have many st. croix fly rods (imperials) they are fantastic. 

Edited by Kype

St. Croix Premier PS66ULF would be my choice, but any quality rod 6' minimum 6'6" is best, rated 2-6 lb test. Longer rods makes it easier to cast especially if your fishing bigger streams and also helps with presenting a natural drift when using  very light bait :up: They also have 6 footer in the trout series rod that would probably fit the bill

Edited by bucky

I'd go with St. Croix or Fenwick.

Here's what I'd get.  I like the little longer length  at 6'6" for the casting distance. 

St. Croix Premier Light 6'6" one-piece on sale for $112 with free shipping plus 10% off if you sign up for their email list.  For $100 that's a really nice rod for trout and smallmouth.  They also have the St Croix Trout Series 7' Light for $140 but I never fished that series.  They look really nice and my friend that fishes for trout a lot swears by them

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/st.-croix-premier-spinning-rod-209355_05_UL_1.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu6WVpazC6QIVApSzCh0pvgC5EAYYAyABEgKzJfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Appreciate all the recommendations, but still have a question. 
The old Fenwick I’ve been using is only 4’9” and has served me well over many years, the only deficiency i can mention would be for longer casting, which on the majority of trout streams in NJ/NY typically isn’t an issue, so my question is, what would be the benefit/cost ratio (for lack of a better description) going to a longer rod? Would too much of an increase in length create an issue in tight spots?  
What do you guys find is the ratio between needing more casting distance compared to the ability to cast in tight spots?