IGNORED

What Grunt Call Do You Use If Any?

BHC

ill admit im no trophy whitetail deer hunter. i have shot plenty of young bucks with just my knight and hale buck grunt. i think my problem is i never wait for the big one. rather have the meat.

only problem i have with that grunt call is when its a really cold morning it doesnt work. i guess my hot breath and the cold mornings freezes the reeds. rendering it useless. i will be looking for a better one next year. good post. ill check out the ones listed here. 

I tried a few calls but the Extinguisher hands down gets them interested and coming in to investigate.

That grunt tube and the can is a deadly combo.

I've blind called many bucks in with these tools. You play out a few chase and tending grunts, and hit that can twice and repeat.... stop and wait 20 minutes then do it again.

The can works great.  I rather blow into it instead of turning it.  Heard a buck grunting over a hill, figured it was chasing a doe but they didn't come my way.  After waiting 10 minutes I gave one bleat and one grunt. Here comes the 9pt I was after straight for me.  Thought he was coming in front of me, but he turned and stopped in the wide open 5 yards behind me.  I was in a stand, first year with crossbow, and couldn't get a shot around the trunk.  By the time he was far enough away to clear hitting the trunk with a bow limb, he was behind a tree going straight away. Fooled him once but not twice, he kept going.  Lost my last original true talker somewhere on that hill that year.

MFDC1359.thumb.JPG.5fd390f439a80948269728c5fe419ddf.JPG

Edited by Greybeard

True Talker here. I only use it in two cases. If a buck is walking a trail that does not pit them in range. And if I kick up deer or hear deer walking away when I get in my stand in the dark- I give a couple very low grunts and it settles them right down. They walk back in within 30 seconds the majority of the time.

Kype, the illusion Executioner has a antifreeze reed
Hey Joe - couple thoughts... First, the only Illusion deer call I know of is the Extinguisher. What's this Executioner you're talking about? And second, I have the Extinguisher call and while it has this antifreeze reed, mine's frozen up when I'm trying to do a doe bleat when it's super cold out.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Most are good - haven't had one yet that didn't work.  Primos, Knight and Hale, Flextone, etc.   Got the extinguisher and like the pitch and design.  Very easy to go from doe bleat to deep mature buck grunt. 

If I could only bring one implement with me besides my bow, it would be a grunt tube.   I have had so much success with the tube including more bucks that I passed on but were quite entertained by than I can count.  

One of my favorite bucks I ever grunted in was this one - I passed up on my first day out in permit bow after tagging out early fall bow last season.  I had him at 50 yards, wasn't sure if he was a slammer I would shoot or a buck I had been getting on camera - it was thick where I first spotted him deep in autumn olive.   Just two grunts and within 2 minutes had him circling me and could have shot him a dozen times.  I am so glad I didn't because by holding onto my tag and getting to complete my 2 week "rutcation" I was rewarded with a BOAL... Anyway - my buddy shot this same buck I passed up when I put him in my stand on 10/30, and it ended up being his best archery buck to date.  He is a good one!  Thick neck, big body, nice rack. 

These videos only shows the deer's behavior after my 2 grunts brought him in - unfortunately not the grunts themselves.   NOTE - when they are coming, lay off the tube!   Less is more.  You don't want them looking up at you or thinking something is wrong. You want them looking for the buck that grunted... If they are walking away from you and clearly not going to happen, give him a few more but don't blow it like a damn bugle. 

The behavior exemplified by this buck is exactly what you want...  Calm, relaxed - seeking the source of the grunt.   More importantly then keeping the deer calm is that you stay calm  - but sometimes that is easier said than done! lol

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Alright I'm gonna order one of those Extinguishers and give it a try this season. I am definitely big on calling, including blind calling.  Not so much on rattling as I've had limited success with it here in NJ.  Calling on the other hand is responsible for the majority of my buck bow kills.  

2 hours ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Alright I'm gonna order one of those Extinguishers and give it a try this season. I am definitely big on calling, including blind calling.  Not so much on rattling as I've had limited success with it here in NJ.  Calling on the other hand is responsible for the majority of my buck bow kills.  

Ratlin works better early, during pre-rut.  There too, you don't want to over do it.  One hit together, grind together, and click the points.   Like with the grunt tube, the more bucks you have in the area the better it works.  I like doing either or both together when the conditions allow sound to travel without being too loud, and the leaves are crunchy so I can hear them coming.  I've seen how they can sneak up, staying in thick cover.  Any movement from you and they will sneak right back out.  Also have had them come in like a raging bull. They always have you pinpointed, but I found if I'm halfway up a hillside in a treestand and they are below me, they may think the sound is coming from up higher on the hill .  A direct line from him, through me, to where the line hits the hill behind me.  Rattled a 6pt in out of a swamp below me, he passed me, stopped behind me looking around up the hill, and passed me again heading back down into the swamp.  I rattled, he came back up and did the same thing.  I rattled again, and for the 3rd time he passed and looked farther up the hill, back down again.

I have had good success in the past the year before last I gave mine to my son and bought a fancy one made out of some hard wood from South America one archery talk it had good reviews But I got to say i have not had good luck with it half way though this season I stopped using it. Don’t know what it is but the deer hear it and seem to shy away. I mean it doesn’t sound bad to me anyhow my old one was a primos. Maybe I to will try that extinguisher 

Edited by smittty