jwalsh

Food Plot/Cover Crop Seed

Does anyone know a place in NJ where I could buy cover crop/food plot seed. I'm thinking of things like buckwheat, winterwheat, and oats? Everything I find has to be ordered online and shipping is a killer. Looking for larger amounts 50lb bags.

Growmark FS, Agway, 

Dont know where you are, a place by me called Animals and Garden unlimited in New Egypt also has food plot seed. Also may want to try local farmers. 

Clover and other seeds I buy from Merit seed in Ohio

I am in East Brunswick, NJ. Checked locally but didn't pan out. I ordered from Merrit before for their Hillcrest Trail Mix for around my cabin. Stuff worked great better than any grass seed I could buy. But to buy 100 pound of buckwheat for 90.00 and then spend 70 for shipping gets expensive quick.

Posted (edited)

Animals and garden unlimited in New Egypt is probably about 45 mins from you. 

Ive bought buck forage oats from them. 

They also had rye. Dont know about whe7at. 

Its early for rye and wheat at least for this years seed. Its still in the fields. Best to buy from a local farmer. I usually get it for about 10 bucks a bag around August. 

Keep an eye on Craigslist in the farm and garden section around August. I see it on there too. 

Give Growmark FS a call first and see what they say. Im going to the one near Columbus this week to pick up some fertilizer for my clover and soybeans

Edited by tcook8296

Deercreek looked good but the free shipping is for 25lbs or less. I have a 1 acre field that I wanted to put some Buckwheat in and that will take at least 100 lbs.

Growmark FS has buckwheat for about $35/bag. They will be your cheapest bet for most stuff. I do order some items from Welter Seed in Iowa. Occasionally it is cheaper through them with shipping. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pay to play. Buckwheat will likely need to be ordered. What is your end goal? In other words what is your plan 

I ordered 150 lbs of Buckwheat from Growmark they say they will have it tomorrow. I have a 200+ acre parcel of land that I lease out 50 acres for ag corn/beans to a local farmer. The rest is wooded except for a 4 acre area I am building a house and pole barn.  I have 2 other foodplots on the land and I am making a third that is about an acre. I want to try throw and go on this new plot. I sprayed and cut it. I am going to throw the buckwheat in to help build the soil and plant a blend come August/Sept.  And yes I did a soil test, and added lime and fert.  It was cheaper do have ag lime done at 2t/acre on a 14 acre site than me doing it with pelletized lime on an acre.

6 hours ago, jwalsh said:

I ordered 150 lbs of Buckwheat from Growmark they say they will have it tomorrow. I have a 200+ acre parcel of land that I lease out 50 acres for ag corn/beans to a local farmer. The rest is wooded except for a 4 acre area I am building a house and pole barn.  I have 2 other foodplots on the land and I am making a third that is about an acre. I want to try throw and go on this new plot. I sprayed and cut it. I am going to throw the buckwheat in to help build the soil and plant a blend come August/Sept.  And yes I did a soil test, and added lime and fert.  It was cheaper do have ag lime done at 2t/acre on a 14 acre site than me doing it with pelletized lime on an acre.

I assume you seen Jeff Sturgis’ videos on the subject? Bc this is how he does it. This is also how I do it. I don’t bother with the buckwheat however bc I frost seed and then use winter rye heavy in the late summer. I use cleth to control the grasses with excellent success. The key to the buckwheat is to not let it get “too high”. Roll it down and spray it and your in business. 

I plant buckwheat as a salvage plot when I get a late start or if something fails. I also throw it in a mix sometimes with Milo, beans, peas and sunflowers. It’s creates bedding and food. If you get the milo established you can let it stand and they will eat the grain heads late fall/early winter.

Buckwheat is also a good soil builder, adds phosphorus and controls weeds as stated earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

I did buckeheat last year.. didn't control weeds at all. Went from nice buckwheat to nothing but stilt grass in a month.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

How’s this years planting going?

How’s this years planting going?
Old clover coming in nicely.
Seeded some clover yesterday before rain on new ground.
Powerplant going in another 1-2weeks.. waiting on temps to come up a tad more at night..
Gonna try the plot saver deer repellent this time.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk