IGNORED

1100/1187 owners....upgrade

nmc02

10 hours ago, Hawkeye57 said:

Everybody has their opinions. All good. But when we hunt northern Subtemps in Dakota ... Only the gas guys have issues. 

Preferences are different for everyone but pretty bold statement “far better” 

From my experience problems in cold has nothing to do with gas operated or inertia .  The issue 9 times out of 10 is to much oil that is not rated for extreme temps

10 hours ago, Hawkeye57 said:

Everybody has their opinions. All good. But when we hunt northern Subtemps in Dakota ... Only the gas guys have issues. 

Preferences are different for everyone but pretty bold statement “far better” 

I am not a benelli fan. My 1100s w hastings barrels are tack drivers...shoot as good or better than any other 12 gauge. HOWEVER, my savage 220 is more accurate than any other shotgun I own.

I own three 1187, two are dedicated slug guns and are more accurate then I thought they would be (12ga & 20ga), the other I got at a great price it's a dedicated turkey 1187 Super Magnum with ShurShot Stock

Now the 12ga dedicated slug gun when I first got it many years ago I went to the range to sight it in, and the rubber O ring broke, went to plumbing supply house and got a few of them. The 20ga dedicated slug gun is my second favorite slug gun (Savage 220 is my #1) well a few years ago took it to the range just make sure it was still on, and it was but I had a problem with the action....Took it to gunsmith at the Heritage Guild in Easton, the action bar snap off, I called Remington from the store they said mail in the bill and they would reimburse me they even gave me a authorization #, few weeks later paid for the repair....came home called Remington as to where to mail or email a copy of the bill they refused to pay for it even with the customer service reps name and the authorization #.......So I agree when people say today's Remington's suck and they aren't made like the older ones, I wouldn't hesitate to buy older Remington firearms

1187_zpsfb7ccf1a.jpg

20200425_085821.jpg

Edited by BHC

1 hour ago, nmc02 said:

I am not a benelli fan. My 1100s w hastings barrels are tack drivers...shoot as good or better than any other 12 gauge. HOWEVER, my savage 220 is more accurate than any other shotgun I own.

My bad- you are talking slugs? I don’t know anything about that! I’ll trust your judgement. 

2 hours ago, vdep217 said:

From my experience problems in cold has nothing to do with gas operated or inertia .  The issue 9 times out of 10 is to much oil that is not rated for extreme temps

Gas guns need to be constantly cleaned. Especially when shooting a few boxes of shells a day in nasty weather. Inertia do not. So yes- oil is the issue but it inherently only an issue with gas guns that need more cleaning to operate correctly. Not trying to spend my time worrying about oil or cleaning a gun perfectly while on a great hunt. 

we had a bet and left a Franchi and beretta outside. Franchi was half the price. Temps dropped to 12 degrees. Franchi- flawless all day. Beretta- 1 shot and had to disassembled. We (guys who put money on inertia) enjoyed not chipping in for groceries rest of the trip ha

I have an 1100 and 1187 premiere.. both pre 2000 made. Both have had O ring replacements from time to time. I just replace them every year before they break.. Simple fix. Use these guns in sub zero temps or shoot heavy goose loads through them when they are dirty and run into issues you will. I prefer my 1187 over any gun made, however SBE’s are machines! They have been tested in every condition know to man. They do not fail. The Crio tech barrels are best in class. I love my Benelli’s but prefer the older Remingtons.. As I said prior, new ones suck! I was at a gun show this year and every table had 2-3 “new” Remington shotguns for sale. I will say the Benelli Nova is a piece of shit as well.. Go figure...

32 minutes ago, Gman said:

I had the same, I replace the seals and issue resolved. 

It cost me a turkey last year. Shot and knocked him down ,but it got up and started to run .I went to shoot again and I had a stove pipe sticking out of the slide ; jammed. Never found the bird.:( Probably my fault for not maintaining the gun better, and making a shitty first shot LOL I’ve used pump guns since. But I would like to go back to my original turkey gun. In all the years I very rarely had to shoot twice, but when you need a second shot you need it LOL

Edited by Nomad

On 5/17/2020 at 9:36 AM, Hawkeye57 said:

Gas guns need to be constantly cleaned. Especially when shooting a few boxes of shells a day in nasty weather. Inertia do not. So yes- oil is the issue

I think this was my problem this past winter. I've had a Beretta A300 Outlander for the past 4 years or so (can't remember exactly)... I never had a problem - eats any ammo I feed it. But this past winter, I had it jam on me (F2E) a couple of times (both duck and pheasant hunting). I couldn't believe it. Never happened to me before. I had no idea what the problem was. Then I realized each time it happened, it was really cold out (below 20 degrees or something like that). And I don't keep my guns bone-dry - I always have a little lubricant on them. At the time, I didn't know about these issues in cold weather. But after I researched it a little, I'm almost positive it was due to the cold weather.

I've since bought some gun oil that claims to be better for cold weather: Shooters Choice FP-10. I'll see how it goes next waterfowl season. I clean my guns pretty regularly, several times a season at least. So I keep the gas piston, barrel, and receiver pretty clean with very little oil. If it happens again, I will think about just keeping the gun bone-dry in the winter.

5 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

I think this was my problem this past winter. I've had a Beretta A300 Outlander for the past 4 years or so (can't remember exactly)... I never had a problem - eats any ammo I feed it. But this past winter, I had it jam on me (F2E) a couple of times (both duck and pheasant hunting). I couldn't believe it. Never happened to me before. I had no idea what the problem was. Then I realized each time it happened, it was really cold out (below 20 degrees or something like that). And I don't keep my guns bone-dry - I always have a little lubricant on them. At the time, I didn't know about these issues in cold weather. But after I researched it a little, I'm almost positive it was due to the cold weather.

I've since bought some gun oil that claims to be better for cold weather: Shooters Choice FP-10. I'll see how it goes next waterfowl season. I clean my guns pretty regularly, several times a season at least. So I keep the gas piston, barrel, and receiver pretty clean with very little oil. If it happens again, I will think about just keeping the gun bone-dry in the winter.

In extreme cold I dont like any oil even if rated for cold.  I clean gun get as dry as I can and use graphite .  Than when done clean light coat oil dry and put in safe,  repeat if using in extreme cold again.  The only issue I've had in cold weather was due to me not cleaning the locking bolt on my stoeger it had a build up that would cause it not to cycle .  Ive hunted on days when spray had pump guns inoperable with I've build up on the action arms.  Those days with extreme cold and wind or rain are less appealing in my older age than 15 years ago lol

Edited by vdep217